PDA

View Full Version : Why cann't I boot from CD?

windinrain
12-05-2003, 01:16 PM
I had downloaded the iso file, and then I put it into the virtual CD, thus I can get all the files of the iso file, then I burned all the virtual CD to a CD ,but I cann't boot from it?

Is the right way of burning CD is to burn the iso file to CD directly withouting unzipping it?

rudiz
12-05-2003, 04:47 PM
You have to change your BIOS setting so that bootingfrom Cdrom is possible.

rudiz
12-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Look in the instruction of your PC how you enter the BIOS and how you make the changes.

Stephen
12-05-2003, 06:52 PM
I had downloaded the iso file, and then I put it into the virtual CD, thus I can get all the files of the iso file, then I burned all the virtual CD to a CD ,but I cann't boot from it?

Is the right way of burning CD is to burn the iso file to CD directly withouting unzipping it?

In addition to the suggestions above you have to use the option in your burning program (whatever it may be called) to create a bootable CD from an ISO image.

rudiz
12-05-2003, 11:02 PM
You have to make a ISO-image.
(There is no unzipping)

ec
12-05-2003, 11:33 PM
IF you have correctly made the iso, and find NO boot from cd, you will have to make a boot floppy. My machine I am on now will NOT boot from floppy.. the bios has no option.

windinrain
12-06-2003, 03:43 AM
You have to change your BIOS setting so that bootingfrom Cdrom is possible.

I have done that, so I think the problem is in the procedure of burnding the CD. The iso_image could be unzipped with the software ' winrar' , after unzipping, there will be several files and folders.

In the CD I have burnned, the files and folders are as follow:
Demos KNOPPIX Talks autorun.bat autorun.inf cdrom.ico index.html

When I put the CD in windows, the file index.html will auto run,.
In folder KNOPPIX there has the file boot.img and many other files

I have redownloaded a new ISO-image, and I will burned the CD second time, may this time I'll be successful.

Think all of you!

windinrain
12-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Now I have successful booted from CD, and now I am very happy on linux.

But now I have some questions 1: Can I setup some software ? if i do, where should i put it? Now I don't have the "home' directory and don't have the super user ID and special user ID, how can I do that?

2: there have three partitions of the hard disk of my windows system, in linux, I can enter every partition and can see all the messages in it from GNU, but from terminal , when I do as follow:
cd /mnt/hda5
ls
there is nothing !!!
cd /mnt/hda6
ls
I can see all the files and folders

I don't think there is any difference between the two partitions, why don't i see the files of hda5 from terminal? but i can do that from GNU?

ClubMan
12-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Knoppix is largely read-only by default. This means that settings, home directory contents and any installed applicatiosn will get lost at reboot. To persist your settings you need to use the "save settings" option to save them to a read/write volume (floppy, Flash stick, FAT[32] volume etc.). To persist your home directory you need to create, er, a persistent home directory. There are KDE menu options for both of these. To install applications you may need to convert your Knoppix installation into a regular Debian installation. The FAQs and docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/) contain lots of tips on all of these tasks. Read those first and then post back if you still have queries. Hope this helps.