PDA

View Full Version : Verizon dsl, usb, and lost.

craig8429
12-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Well I have a westel modem it supports usb and ethernet. I don't have a nic card at the moment and i'm a total newb to knoppix! so if anyone can explain how to set up my dsl connection for knoppix i'd appericate it.

bsaunders
12-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Well I have a westel modem it supports usb and ethernet. I don't have a nic card at the moment and i'm a total newb to knoppix! so if anyone can explain how to set up my dsl connection for knoppix i'd appericate it.

This isn't a detailed instruction, but some hints to get you started.

Knoppix is pretty smart if you have all of the basic equipment installed.

So, get an ethernet adaptor put into your computer. Make sure everything is connected properly.

While experimenting with how to configure things, I generally boot off of the CD.

On the Knoppix kicker there is an item (I'm doing this from memory, so you may need to look around) which has the words ADSL or PPPOE. Click on that item and answer the questions. If you don't know the answers, accept the defaults and see what happens.

If you are satisfied with the results, you should be able to boot off your hard drive and do the same thing.

You should also look into what the command "sudo pon dsl-provider" does and how to set up a sudoer file.

Good luck