PDA

View Full Version : Graphical system state

guillaumecote
12-05-2003, 09:22 PM
I am regulary comparing knoppix with windows XP. There is one thing that I found more user friendly in Windows that in Knoppix : System resource management.

In windows, you have nice manager that display graph of memory and cpu use. There is nothing as graphical in Knoppix, at least that I know about. The best tool for the job seem to be top. But it's a lot less graphical, and it cannot be include in the task bar. Anybody know anything better that is or could be include in Knoppix.

Also, when I have a low memory condition. I just have some application kill. I have the reflex to cat come file in /proc/ and add some swap space. But windows have a nice system running low in memory dialog. Do you think we could have something similar in Knoppix?

bsaunders
12-05-2003, 10:03 PM
I use XFCE version 4 as my window manager (http://www.xfce.org) and you can add all sorts of graphical resource information to the task bar.

It does take a little work to get version 4 installed and running from kdm. The other thing I've seen but haven't had the inclination to follow up on is

GKrellm

http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html

Which looks really cool. But I've only used it on Damnsmalllinux.

rickenbacherus
12-05-2003, 11:08 PM
I am regulary comparing knoppix with windows XP. There is one thing that I found more user friendly in Windows that in Knoppix : System resource management.

In windows, you have nice manager that display graph of memory and cpu use. There is nothing as graphical in Knoppix, at least that I know about. The best tool for the job seem to be top. But it's a lot less graphical, and it cannot be include in the task bar. Anybody know anything better that is or could be include in Knoppix.

I don't have a KDE desktop ATM but there is a monitor for cpu & ram that sits in the system tray. Personally I just put top up on one of my many desktops (oh yeah win has only 1 desktop) and leave it there if I need to monitor system resources.

Also, when I have a low memory condition. I just have some application kill. I have the reflex to cat come file in /proc/ and add some swap space. But windows have a nice system running low in memory dialog. Do you think we could have something similar in Knoppix?

Hmmm- I have a machine w/ only 256M RAM and I have yet to experience and out of memory condition. Of course I'm not trying to edit video or anything like that. Why not just make yourself a swap partition to accomodate for the lack of RAM? You'll always have plenty of RAM that way.

rdt
12-06-2003, 12:31 AM
I use XFCE version 4 as my window manager (http://www.xfce.org) and you can add all sorts of graphical resource information to the task bar.

It does take a little work to get version 4 installed and running from kdm. The other thing I've seen but haven't had the inclination to follow up on is

GKrellm

http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html

Which looks really cool. But I've only used it on Damnsmalllinux.

Yes, gkrellm is my favorite. I used to use
xLoad & xOsview, etc. but now I prefer all the stuff availabel with it.

guillaumecote
12-06-2003, 11:37 AM

Hmmm- I have a machine w/ only 256M RAM and I have yet to experience and out of memory condition. Of course I'm not trying to edit video or anything like that. Why not just make yourself a swap partition to accomodate for the lack of RAM? You'll always have plenty of RAM that way.

Of course, I made myself a swap partition, but to figure out that I have to made one, I had to look in /proc/. I think it could be a good improvement to knoppix if computer newbe are tool that their is computer is low on memory and they need to add swap by a popup like on windows.