PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.3 will not shutdown from KDE menu

timread
12-06-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi,

I am a little new both to Linux and Knoppix, so if there is a simple answer...

I have installed Knoppix 3.3 on my HD and it runs really nicely. However, from KDE, if I try to return to finish the session, shutdown the machine (a Sony Vaio) or reboot, the screen just goes blank and nothing more happens (the computer is not turned off). Eventually I have to switch it off and then the next time I switch it on I get an error about the file system not being powered down correctly.

For now, to prevent errors I have found that I can press CTRL-ALT F1, and then log in as root and shutdown manually from there.

Any suggestions as to how to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Tim

jmpoure
12-06-2003, 03:55 PM
I can confirm the same problem. My laptop will not shutdown from KDE, I have to run "shutdown now -h" manualy.

menglef
12-06-2003, 04:08 PM
yep, same here.
the odd thing is that it works fine if im just using the cdrom.

solfrio
12-06-2003, 05:34 PM
I also have the same problem. I don't have this problem with SuSE 9.0, which is what I use everyday. I only use knoppix for emergencies.

timread
12-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Well now that I can see that others have the same problem it makes me thjnk that it is more of a "bug" in Knoppix 3.3 and not some local installation problem. Just like the other person here, I have had both Suse 9.0 and Fedora 1.0 installed in this laptop and they shutdown just fine.

I have searched the bug list again (I did it before posting the first message) to see if it had been reported and could find nothing. Hence, I will wait until the end of the week, just incase some it is known to the "Knoppix community", and a fix is available, and if not, I will submit it as a bug so that hopefully it can be fixed for Knoppix 3.4.

Thanks everyone.

Tim

jeramy
12-08-2003, 06:33 PM
I think it is a bug with KDM.

Mine won't shut down either, but I installed GDM in its place, and now mine shuts down fine.

antskip
05-06-2004, 05:35 AM
3.4 also does not shut down properly. How does one replace KDM with GDM?