PDA

View Full Version : Using my 2nd CD drive

LeeDouglas
02-04-2003, 07:23 PM
I have 2 CD drives in my computer. One, the plain old CD drive boots Knoppix just fine - love it so far, BTW. This particular PC has only 1 HD and it's NTFS, so I can't use the HD for saving files, etc.

My 2nd CD drive is a CD-RW. When I try to save files to it, it seems to mount ok but when I use the Knoppix browser to find a file and then try to either copy to the CD-RW drive or burn an image, I get the message that there's "no file". I've tried it with CD-R, CD-RW, and formatted CD-RW disks - all to no avail.

Please, someone tell me what I'm missing?

TIA!

Dave_Bechtel
02-04-2003, 09:26 PM
--It sounds like you're talking about packet-writing, which Linux doesn't really support (yet?). Try ' man cdrecord '.

I have 2 CD drives in my computer. One, the plain old CD drive boots Knoppix just fine - love it so far, BTW. This particular PC has only 1 HD and it's NTFS, so I can't use the HD for saving files, etc.

My 2nd CD drive is a CD-RW. When I try to save files to it, it seems to mount ok but when I use the Knoppix browser to find a file and then try to either copy to the CD-RW drive or burn an image, I get the message that there's "no file". I've tried it with CD-R, CD-RW, and formatted CD-RW disks - all to no avail.

Please, someone tell me what I'm missing?

TIA!

LeeDouglas
02-04-2003, 09:39 PM
It's ok if Knoppxi doesn't support packet writing. There is a Knoppix application that pops up when I choose Burn a CD and it doesn't work either. Any ideas why it says "No file"?

Dave_Bechtel
02-04-2003, 10:31 PM
--Unfortunately no... I try not to use GUI when burning cds, using scripts instead. What's the name of the app? ' cdbakeoven ' I think is an alternative.

It's ok if Knoppxi doesn't support packet writing. There is a Knoppix application that pops up when I choose Burn a CD and it doesn't work either. Any ideas why it says "No file"?