PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need 3GB?

musicmaster
12-06-2003, 02:45 PM
i have a 2.5GB partition that was for windows 2000, but i deleted it. can i use the 2.5GB partition?

Stephen
12-06-2003, 04:42 PM
i have a 2.5GB partition that was for windows 2000, but i deleted it. can i use the 2.5GB partition?
Yes you need 2.2 GB minimum which should allow you to get a /swap partition as well as the main / one you need so you will have to divide that partition into two. The first thing you should do after installing is remove as many programs as you can that will not be used to free up some space for the system, what you can safely remove is all the kde-i18n-?? country localizations that you will not use along with the excess xserver-???? for different video cards that will never be used by you. You can also install localepurge which will allow you to tell the system which languages you want the system to keep for display and man pages when installed you will have to edit the file /etc/locale.gen to match the selections you made in the configuration of the localepurge otherwise the locales will be regenerated on the next upgrade all these should free up at least 300mb for your use then it is matter of figuring out which programs you do not want after this and removing them to give yourself even more room to work with.

sn0wflake
12-14-2003, 07:39 AM
Is it possible to pre-select which packages to install? 2200 is a tad too much for me <:)