PDA

View Full Version : the simplest versatile hddinstall procedure ever :))

godot
12-07-2003, 04:33 PM
hi,

just wanting to share my results after some experiments installing Knoppix on hard disk...

I produced a step-by-step installation procedure for Knoppix on http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~decockd (look for the penguin).

both a full hard disk installation given a Knoppix cd (or at least its iso image) and an installation of the Knoppix cd to hard disk are covered.

the procedures have been tested: it works for me, and I kept it as generic as possible.

enjoy it!

g.

ps: while doing so, I discovered that the usb problem many people have encountered (including me, that is) can easily be solved by mounting the usbdevfs manually... could the Knoppix maintainers have a look at that proposed solution? it requires no great effort and would make Knoppix the most generic system ever... ;-)

Stephen
12-07-2003, 04:55 PM
ps: while doing so, I discovered that the usb problem many people have encountered (including me, that is) can easily be solved by mounting the usbdevfs manually... could the Knoppix maintainers have a look at that proposed solution? it requires no great effort and would make Knoppix the most generic system ever... ;-)

Try posting to the Bugzilla (http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/) with the problem and your solution and post the solution here so people searching the forum can find it maybe put it in the tips and tricks section if you would.

shyavid
12-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Can you please help me to install Knoppix 3.3 Linux on a external hard drive usb 2.0? I could make the partitions on my USB HDD. I made a Linux partition and a Linux swap partition and mounting the Linux partition as root. But I cannot boot Linux from my USB HDD. Please help me!!!!!!!

godot
12-22-2003, 03:25 AM
shyavid, can you boot any other os from your usb hdd?

godot
12-23-2003, 11:09 AM
the webserver hosting my website wrt the debian/knoppix hard disk installation has changed: http://godot.studentenweb.org/index.cgi (look for the penguin)...

torchZ06
12-24-2003, 09:33 AM
hi godot,

thanks for the nice step by step on using 'knx-install'. i followed your proceedure the first time i installed knoppix to my HD and it worked like a champ. after a couple of days i reformatted and tried a 'knoppix style' install using 'knoppix-installer'. saw it wasnt what i wanted and so i used 'knoppix-installer' to this time make a "debian style" install, but it didn't set up the CUPS and DHCP n stuff like the old 'knx-install' did.

i know they're saying we shouldn't use 'knx-install', but it seemed to work better and you've still got it listed on your site as the way to do it, so i wanted to see what your thoughts are on the two, as i'm quite new to knoppix/debian, coming over from the gentoo side.

thanks,
patrick

godot
12-26-2003, 04:31 PM
hi torch206,

nice to hear you like the installation procedure ;-)

I tried out several debian/stable and debian/knoppix installation procedures myself, and the knx-hdinstall is the most efficient way to set up a reliable debian machine which really works and is properly configured...

it used to take me *several hours* (not to say days) before my debian/stable box was configured the way I wanted (confirming debian's default suggestions, configuring freetype fonts, X, gtk-eclipse, most recently issued jvm, etc), where `my' knoppix installation procedure now allows me to reinstall my laptop from scratch in much less than an hour... the price payed is the testing/unstable nature of the box, but I naively :P believe that this is a minor issue if one does not activate too many `incoming' services (e.g., I only accept incoming ssh traffic to my machine(s); CUPS is acceptable too :twisted:), there are not too many `untrusted users' (I am the single user of my machine) and one synchronizes on a regular basis with security.debian.org...

note however, that I would certainly not advise a knoppix installation for a unix server machine due to knoppix' testing/unstable nature: use debian/stable if you need a reliable/robust unix server, and debian/knoppix for non-server unix boxes...

cu, g.

aay
12-30-2003, 07:14 AM
...the price payed is the testing/unstable nature of the box...

I've heard this mentioned as a problem by many people, but after doing many Knoppix installs, this has not cause me any grief at all. Could someone please tell to me what problems they are having.

kimmeke
12-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Godot,
(my english in not so good and I thing your a Dutchman so...)
Het wil maar niet lukken. Na een zoveelste poging (Mandrake crasht altijd, debian wil zelf de diskette niet meer lezen bij inlezen van extra drivers, knoppix wil niet booten van HD) Heb ik de stappen onder uw " Hard disk installation of Knoppix cd, booting from a Knoppix cd " gevolgd.

Na stap 14. "lilo -C /boot/lilo.conf" krijg ik de melding:
Warning: RAID1 install implied by omitted 'boot='
Fatal: Can't put the boot sector on logical partition 0x0100

De eerste regel op uw website wil ook niet lukken:
knoppix lang=us dma noprompt
dan blijft hij bij het booten hangen achter:
Scanning for Harddisk partition and creating /etc/fstab....

Verder heb ik opgemerkt dat mijn root device hda5 is. En ik die dacht dat dit hde1 is omdat hier mijn Windows op staat.

Verder zijn mijn gegevens:
1 S-ATA HD
hde5 -> data (ntfs)
hde6 -> Software (ntfs)
hde8 -> linux
hde7 -> swap

Heb jij enig idee waarom er geen enkele wilt werken?

Knoppix van CD werkt wel, maar dan kan ik geen upate en dergelijke doen.

godot
01-04-2004, 12:13 AM
...the price payed is the testing/unstable nature of the box...

I've heard this mentioned as a problem by many people, but after doing many Knoppix installs, this has not cause me any grief at all. Could someone please tell to me what problems they are having.

hi aay,

so far, I have not observed any problem either... I think the testing/unstable nature is something which must be kept in mind, but which does not cause any harm as long as the machine is managed properly to avoid it becomes tested/unreliable/compromised... :twisted:

cu, g.

godot
01-04-2004, 12:30 AM
hoi kimmeke,

Godot,
(my english is not so good and I thing you are a Dutchman so...)
Het wil maar niet lukken. Na een zoveelste poging (Mandrake crasht altijd, debian wil zelf de diskette niet meer lezen bij inlezen van extra drivers, knoppix wil niet booten van HD) Heb ik de stappen onder uw " Hard disk installation of Knoppix cd, booting from a Knoppix cd " gevolgd.

Na stap 14. "lilo -C /boot/lilo.conf" krijg ik de melding:
Warning: RAID1 install implied by omitted 'boot='
Fatal: Can't put the boot sector on logical partition 0x0100

ik denk dat je best /boot/lilo.conf editeert voor je lilo uitvoert door 'boot=...' te laten verwijzen naar de plaats waar je de bootsector wil laten terecht komen...

dat kan te maken hebben met de `dma' die gespecifieerd wordt... op de machines waarop ik een en ander heb getest, levert dat een serieuze tijdwinst op bij het copieren van de informatie naar de harde schijf (van 30 minuten naar minder dan 10), maar op sommige machines werkt dat inderdaad niet zo best... welk soort computer gebruik je ?

Verder heb ik opgemerkt dat mijn root device hda5 is. En ik die dacht dat dit hde1 is omdat hier mijn Windows op staat.

het root device is de partitie die als / zal gemount worden... als je daar je windowspartitie voor opgeeft, zal het ding met zekerheid zijn kluts kwijt geraken :D

geven wat je hieronder stelt, lijkt het me best om je rootpartitie te laten verwijzen naar /dev/hde8. als het commando in stap 10 iets anders oplevert dan /dev/hde8, kan je dat best manueel aanpassen met `export THISROOT=/dev/hde8` en daarna de stappen 11 en volgende uitvoeren zoals op mijn homepagina...

1 S-ATA HD
hde5 -> data (ntfs)
hde6 -> Software (ntfs)
hde8 -> linux
hde7 -> swap

Heb jij enig idee waarom er geen enkele wilt werken?

Knoppix van CD werkt wel, maar dan kan ik geen upate en dergelijke doen.

met vriendelijke groeten, g.

kimmeke
01-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Hallo,

ik denk dat je best /boot/lilo.conf editeert voor je lilo uitvoert door 'boot=...' te laten verwijzen naar de plaats waar je de bootsector wil laten terecht komen...

in mijn lilo staat nu "boot=/dev/hde8". Moet dit iets anders zijn?

zonder dma lukt het wel

welk soort computer gebruik je ?

MOBO: ASUS A7N8X Delux v2.0
HD: WD SATA 80 Gb
Ik heb ook de howto voor dual boot m.b.v. grub eens gevolgd en dan blijft hij bij het booten ook hangen achter de melding: hde:drive not ready for command.
Volgens mij is er iets mis met SATA (controller?)

1 S-ATA HD
hde5 -> data (ntfs)
hde6 -> Software (ntfs)
hde8 -> linux
hde7 -> swap

kimmeke
01-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Godot,
Is de volgende melding OK na stap 11:

root@ttyp0[root]# export THISROOT=/dev/hde8
root@ttyp0[root]# genliloconf /dev/hda $THISROOT "" $BOOT/vmlinuz > $LILO
part: /dev/hde1, typ: 7
part: /dev/hde5, typ: 7
part: /dev/hde3, typ: 7
Segmentation fault
[/quote]

Ander
01-04-2004, 12:30 PM
just wanting to share my results after some experiments installing Knoppix on hard disk...

I produced a step-by-step installation procedure for Knoppix on http://ace.ulyssis.org/godot...

Thanks---you have a lot of useful info there.

May I suggest, though, that you use a more readable color scheme---e.g., dark text on a light, non-patterned background? I know it's not as cool-looking, etc., but most of us are already pretty stressed out just trying to make Linux work, and that would really help.

Cheers, Ander

godot
01-04-2004, 03:30 PM
hoi kimmeke,

dat lijkt me niet echt normaal, neen... met dat type moederbord heb ik een en ander al zonder enig probleem aan de praat gekregen, weliswaar met een andere harde schijf : een 120 gig van maxtor...

ivm je probleem : misschien kan je je biosinstellingen eens herinitialiseren naar de `factory defaults'... als dat niet helpt, weet ik echt niet hoe een en ander op te lossen zou zijn... :(

om te weten waarop het ding de segmentation fault geeft, kan je `strace genliloconf /dev/hda...` eens uitvoeren...

een laatste suggestie : probeer je rootpartitie eens primair te maken...

cu, g.

godot
01-04-2004, 03:54 PM
removing redundant message

godot
01-04-2004, 04:10 PM
dear Ander,

the background suggestion has been taken into account... I hope the result has become less frustrating/irritating... :twisted:

cu, g.

I produced a step-by-step installation procedure for Knoppix on http://godot.studentenweb.org

Thanks---you have a lot of useful info there.

May I suggest, though, that you use a more readable color scheme---e.g., dark text on a light, non-patterned background?

Cheers, Ander

maillion
01-06-2004, 06:47 AM
I have Mandrake installed on a maxtor 10 gig drive. I would like to replace it with Debian. Can I do this with a Knoppix hd install? Will it erase my /home directory? Is there a way to make it a full Debian system, or will I need to try installing Debian again? :?:

godot
01-08-2004, 03:05 AM
I have Mandrake installed on a maxtor 10 gig drive. I would like to replace it with Debian. Can I do this with a Knoppix hd install?

sure...

Will it erase my /home directory?

if you want to preserve your /home directory, you should copy it to somewhere else, e.g. to a separate partition... keep in mind that it is good practice to use a separate partition for /home...

Is there a way to make it a full Debian system, or will I need to try installing Debian again? :?:

if you install knoppix, you will have a debian/testing/unstable system which will be fully installed and configured...

cu, g.

Cuddles
01-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Reading this thread, I was interested if the subject that I had issues with was being covered, and it appears, it isn't...

I installed Knoppix 3.2 and 3.3 -=- seperately, but both using the knx-hdinstall process.
I had a document hard copy of the procedure found at http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

and followed it word for word, and got lost...

I was fine up until the point where it said:

Follow the guided installation menues. This will include:
* creating a Linux partition
* creating a Linux Swap partition

And when thrown into cfdisk - I was LOST...

It wasn't guided, it was chaotic. Considering I was working with a dual-boot system, I was scared of making a scrambled drive, and aborted out.

It would be nice, if the creators of the install process, could have maybe put information on what you need to do, inside cfdisk, on the message box that comes just before cfdisk is fired off. Something like:

The next step, create a Linux partition and Linux Swap - you will need to add a partition of at least xxMeg and make it BOOTABLE as type "Linux" #XX - and a second partition of at least xxMeg and make it type "Linux Swap" #XX. Then, when finished, do a WRITE, and then when it has been sucessfully written to the drive, do a QUIT. You will be returned at that time to continue your installation process.

<OK>

That way, you aren't "thrown" into something blindly, and some of that "fear" doesn't overtake someone. (as it did me)

Just some ideas, I realize we are dealing with a shell (DOS) type screen, and can't have information on the same screen as cfdisk is at that time, but maybe a small "heads up" beforehand, may help new users???

Just a thought,
Cuddles

godot
01-11-2004, 08:51 PM
dear Cuddles,

Reading this thread, I was interested if the subject that I had issues with was being covered, and it appears, it isn't...

it is now: I have updated the procedure so that some additional high-level partition information is included too (my `optimal' partition size suggestion was already included). Note that adding any more details than those available now would make the procedure less general which will confuse new users even more...

cu, g.

godot
03-17-2004, 09:43 PM
hi,

I have updated the layout of my debian/knoppix installation page...

feel free to send me any remarks or suggestions for future extensions or improvements...

cu, g.

c123
03-18-2004, 01:36 PM
looks good (the information - no comment on the background wallpaper though!).

I installed Knoppix 3.3 lat week, so I'll have a look. In any case I'll have to reinstall when 3.4 Cebit comes out.