PDA

View Full Version : tip: how to find your cd-rom after installing to hd :)

fred
02-05-2003, 12:22 AM
i spent half a day trying to get my cd drive to work after installing to hd. here is how i made it work:

vi /etc/lilo.conf

edit the kernel parameters:
hdx=scsi -> hdx=ide-scsi (hdx is the dev where the cdrom actually is - mine is hdc)

run lilo

reboot

what i find strange is that noone else seems to have this problem. why do i have it? the cd boots great. and knoppix works great off the cd, etc.

fred.

rogerchapman
07-21-2003, 10:12 AM
I have the same problem and looking for a solution many days.

Your solution is very helpful and I will try it as soon as possible.

My understanding is that "lilo" is not used always and many (some?) persons use "grub" instead.
Maybe many users have SCSI-Drives, which works perfectly, because the SCSI-controller is installed automatically.

bongski55
07-26-2003, 05:53 AM
I also had this problem before but a post relating to missing drives solved the problem for me. Seems that only knoppix has this method.

As root do 'rebuildfstab' (noquotes).
As user do 'mkdesktophdicons'. This displays the icons that are mountable.
I also had to change the cdrom icon URL to /cdrom instead of the default /mnt/cdrom.

aay
07-26-2003, 06:46 AM
I also had this problem before but a post relating to missing drives solved the problem for me. Seems that only knoppix has this method.

As root do 'rebuildfstab' (noquotes).
As user do 'mkdesktophdicons'. This displays the icons that are mountable.
I also had to change the cdrom icon URL to /cdrom instead of the default /mnt/cdrom.

The new installer fixes this. The drives that were detected from booting off the CD will be available on the desktop after a HD install.