PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection Sharing

Yeti
12-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi, this is probally a easy one, but I was sitting here banging on my Dial up Internet connection and I started thinking. I don't have the proper hardware with me to try this right now, but I will on the next day I work, so any suggestions will be appriciated.

At work we have a Token Ring LAN running with the internet connection being a fractured T1. The server/clients are Windows NT. I can boot Knoppix and have Internet access on one of the workstations. The workstation machine that runs Knoppix has USB ports. I want to install a USB 10/100 NIC and run a crossover cable to my laptop so that my Laptop has Internet access (because right now my laptop has 28.8 dial up).

Can this be done? Easilly? Thanx for your help and advice.

jfitie
12-09-2003, 06:56 AM
I think the "terminal server" option in Knoppix has DHCP and NAT.
You could just start that, hook up your laptop to the Knoppix machine and see if it works (don't boot via PXE though).

try: sudo /usr/sbin/knoppix-terminalserver

I take it your desktop PC has 2 NIC's, 1 to your LAN (with an internet connection) and 1 to your laptop (crosscable); be sure you have a connection to your LAN first, and also be sure to enter the correct NIC when you start the Terminal Server.