PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed knoppix to a Creative Jukebox Zen?

baldyeti
12-08-2003, 12:37 AM
Given that this MP3 player (http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?prod=494) doubles as a USB2 HD, I'd be tempted to devote some of its portable storage capacity to a knoppix install. But I suspect it may not be possible/easy/allowed to partition the unit, and that altering the boot loader and/or active partition may render the preload software and firmware inoperative. Has someone attempted this already?

FlorianK
12-09-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm a newbie, and I know you're not (what with all your posts). Just thought I'd share my experience about this because it is sort of similar to what you're asking:

I'm using an Archos Jukebox Recorder with USB 2.0, sadly connected to a USB 1.1 port (because I don't have a better one on my box). I've tried repartitioning it and qtparted refused to do it. I thought that was to do with the slow connection?

About the software of the device, with the Archos one it is flashed - I'm using an open source one (http://rockbox.haxx.se/) (Archos only, but great stuff - I didn't flash it, though that's possible now), and that didn't harm the original software. I'm not saying this would be so with your jukebox, but if you check the manufacturer's homepage, it might tell you whether the software is flashed or stored on the drive itself, or if there's some boot sector you can't touch. From my experience with Archos, though, I don't think you'll find much - they don't seem to be too enthusiastic about people replacing their native software with other stuff.

My BIOS doesn't support booting from a USB device, but it worked great to save the persistent home directory and configuration to the drive (at cd boot prompt, enter knoppix myconfig=scan).

Sorry if that's no great help.

baldyeti
12-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Hello Florian, with the evolution rate of all things IT, we're all newbies - forever!
Is this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000T1R4O/qid=1071003102/sr=1-3/ref=pd_sbs_e_1/102-5900211-2621726?v=glance&s=electronics) your unit, by any chance? The prices I've been able to find in Europe are
at least twice that! Actually I have not purchased the Creative Jukebox yet -
Santa only comes in 2 weeks, remember. So it's interesting to hear about
alternatives. It's just that the CJ (and the pricier Ipod) are easy to find.

I don't think QTparted cares what speed it can zap one's patitions;-) PCI
USB2 cards can be had for around 20 €. Maybe that's worth the 40x speed
increase? Anyway thansk for bringing the ARCHOS and its OSS project to
my attention

FlorianK
12-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Now THAT price difference is so unfair!!! I bought a 15GB Jukebox, not the 20GB one - and it cost about twice what they take at the end of your link!!! Same for a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card (I'm using a laptop) :evil: But then, my jukebox actually has about 19GB, who knows why ...

Archos seems to be the low price alternative for these things. When I browsed around to buy it, there were some really worrying buyer reviews, and I myself had to send back the first one I got because it simply wasn't working. But (apart from the comparatively low price, I'll admit) the option of using OSS on it convinced me to try again. Have you looked at their comparison between the Archos OS and Rockbox? It's amazing what these people do. Since I've installed the OSS, I'm really happy with my jukebox.

I hope we'll find someone who'll give us a hint about using these things as "mobile Knoppix boxes", that'd be most cool.

Best regards,

Florian.

-- EDIT: Just noticed that you're from Belgium, rather than from the US, so you're stuck with the same unfair prices as I, no? But the company you've linked to actually offered the best price in Germany as well. You might also try here (http://www.ep-netshop.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/de/-/EUR/pp_ep_DisplayProductInformation-Start;%24sid%24P-GlqT_WQOaNxlF_0UEMpAm3hd5jq9B9?memberID=&ProductID=vwzDR37NUc4AAADwIy_mCEQM&RefererLink=ProductSimpleSearch) if ordering from Germany is ok for you. They went down €16 since I got mine, *growl*.

baldyeti
12-10-2003, 12:17 AM
You're right about the prices, of course. Brussels is not any better. Besides I
could only find the Archos g-mini 120 here. Funny how prices inflate while
crossing the Atlantic. Yet the exchange rate is supposed to evolve in our
favour, lately...

Florian, following your link, this DE shop has good prices indeed, but nowhere
does it actually say that this model supports USB2. Hum...
Anyway I've posted a request to Creative support; we'll see what they say.
I am not too confident they'll allow me to tinker with the gizmo, though.