PDA

View Full Version : Custom kernel ?

nizedude
12-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to know if there's success story on remastering knoppix with custom kernel.. has anyone tried it ?
I got kernel-2.4.22 but i needed additional patch.. which is not in 3.3 version...
Also.. I might want to use 2.4.23 ( along with the exploit issues which attacks some debian servers.. )

the docs for custom kernel is quite hard for a newbie like me ..
would someone be kind to point some links ?

TIA.

mipooh
12-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Look here:

http://www.kano.mipooh.net

No thatīs not mine, but I use successful the 2.4.23 Kernel with the Nvidia 4620 Driver. This Kernel is released.

My Debian-Style Installation runs very well with that Kernel. I even installed the Xfree Experimental and have no Problems.

I also tried the 2.6 Test 11 Kernel, but had some little Problems, as my Modem wouldnīt work, and my PS2 mouse would neither. I had to use a USB and a router, then it wored fine too. AFAIK a known problem sice Test10, maybe solved by the Kernel.org in between.

Oh sorry I did not see, it was for remastering. I did not try that and I know this is a special one as one of those initial files must be changed, I heard itīs not easy. I know Kano did it successful. You can find him often in the IRC #knoppix channel.

nizedude
12-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Hello...

Yes actually I do want to use custom kernel as well as remastering for some other machines..
That is reall cool too that I want to make preinstalled Nvidia-kernel-"blah" inside this custom knoppix.. since most of the workstations here use that graphic card.

I've browsed thru your pages..
seems like I'll need to chew those scripts first before trying it..

other suggestions are still welcome

Thanks !

arkaine23
12-11-2003, 08:49 PM
I want a custom SMP kernel with i2c