PDA

View Full Version : minor flaws, but disappointing

wolfgang_a_h
12-08-2003, 10:03 PM
hi all,
my knoppix hd-install sports some minor flaws which I find nevertheless disappointing:

1) I already have some OS's installed and am using my "traditional" boot manager (chos BTW)
for knoppix also. I set the kernel parameter vga=extended to all linux flavours I'm booting (one suse, one redhat, one mandrake BTW, all for various testing purposes)
for knoppix this works fine at the beginning, but immediately after the message about "configuring the network devices etc", the vga mode suddenly falls back to "normal". I did find one single (!) posting somewhere (after extensive googling) on that topic, but it wasn't solved there...

2) when giving a "halt" command (or triggering system halt in kdm) my machine goes into reboot after the last message ("flushing ide devices" or something the like) appeared.
works fine for all other linux-flavours I'm running.

3) in kde, I added an "external taskbar" (similar to the top-of-screen-taskbar in kde1) to the top of the screen (panel context manu->add->extensions->external taskbar) which works fine at first - but it is lost on every new login. a "KasBar" or "child panel" with a kde2-style taskbar (2 lines), on the other hand, works just fine... but I'm quite used to a "one line taskbar" which I find more usable.

any ideas? none of these is critical, the rest of the system works fine.
thanks in advance & greetings 2 all

turbinater
12-08-2003, 11:36 PM
1. Try vga=791

2. Never had thet happen. Go to google.com/linux and search it out

3. Try typing "rm ~/.kde/Autostart/*"(without the qoutes) in a terminal to get rid of those dreaded scripts.

wolfgang_a_h
12-09-2003, 04:01 AM
ad 1) you misunderstood... I *do* use vga=791 (on all my linux installations, where it works!), it *does* work from the point the kernel takes over control from the bootloader, but then it switches *back* to vga=normal (785 I think) after configuring the network devs... so where does the kernel loose the information or get another setting respectively?

ad 2) yeah, me neither :wink:

ad 3) well, unfortunately I already checked that out before, the Autostart folder was (and still is) empty...

thanks anyway!

Dave_Bechtel
12-21-2003, 01:11 AM
--What I did, as root:
2003.0328 - Had to fix /etc/init.d/console-screen.sh again, keeps resetting font to 80x25.

--If this is your problem, edit the above file and comment out the following lines:

# xxx removed 2003.0328
# Global default font+sfm
# if [ "${SCREEN_FONT}" ]
# then
# echo -n "Setting up general console font..."
# SCREEN_FONT="-f ${SCREEN_FONT}"

# # maybe use an external SFM
# [ "${SCREEN_FONT_MAP}" ] && SCREEN_FONT_MAP="-u ${SCREEN_FONT_MAP}"
#
# ${SETFONT} ${SETFONT_OPT} ${SCREEN_FONT} ${SCREEN_FONT_MAP} && echo don
# fi

--If anyone else has a more elegant solution I'd be glad to hear it.

ad 1) you misunderstood... I *do* use vga=791 (on all my linux installations, where it works!), it *does* work from the point the kernel takes over control from the bootloader, but then it switches *back* to vga=normal (785 I think) after configuring the network devs... so where does the kernel loose the information or get another setting respectively?

ad 2) yeah, me neither :wink:

ad 3) well, unfortunately I already checked that out before, the Autostart folder was (and still is) empty...

thanks anyway!