PDA

View Full Version : Mounting CD Burner

TLG2
12-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Hello,
I', conciderably new to using Knoppix, ok linux for that matter, but my dad said this was a good way to learn so I'm here. Anyway's, the other day I had Knoppix 3.2 running and I went to burn some stuff from my HD to CD, and I realised I didnt know how to Mount the CD Burner. So, how do you do it?

rickenbacherus
12-09-2003, 12:55 AM
Well if you have only one cdrom and you use it too boot Knoppix then I'm afraid you're out of luck unless you get the newer verison w/ the 'toram' cheat code. BTW- it is impossible to mount a cdburner but you can mount a file system that's located inside the cdrom drive. It is however unnecessary and impossible to mount a blank cd. Why? No filesystem to mount. :) Anyway, if you want to mount a drive you just do this:

mount /dev/? /mnt/?

That is to say "mount /dev/(whatever) to mount point /mnt/(whatever)

OK ok something a little more sensible:

mount /dev/scd0 /cdrom

TLG2
12-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Oh ok, well I have a seperate burner, so thats not an issue. But then how do I burn a CD with Knoppix?

Stephen
12-09-2003, 05:33 AM
Oh ok, well I have a seperate burner, so thats not an issue. But then how do I burn a CD with Knoppix?
Look for K3b in the system menu IIRC it is pretty straight forward and easy to use.

rickenbacherus
12-09-2003, 10:02 PM

To burn an .iso you can use cdrecord like so:

cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 2.01a16 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) '_NEC ' 'DVD+RW ND-1100A ' '1.A0' Removable CD-ROM

OK so now I know that my drive is 0,0,0 on the SCSI bus, So..
cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 Knoppix.iso

and that's it!