PDA

View Full Version : System hangs during boot with USB flash drive attached

farcha
12-09-2003, 07:03 AM
Hi everyone,
I copied Knoppix V3.3 2003-11-19 onto a CD and everything works like a charm. Kudos to Knoppix! My system has 4 'generic' USB 1.1 ports and I added a 4 port USB 2.0 PCI adapter. All the USB devices attached are accessible: printer, scanner, mouse (wireless), keyboard, UPS, everything. Now here's the catch:
I have a Sandisk Cruzer mini 256 MB USB flash drive, which works fine under XP (home) and W2k. When I boot Knoppix with the drive attached to any USB port, the system will freeze during bootup, sometimes it reaches the cool voice saying 'initiating startup sequ..sequ...sequ...sequ... (skipping record), and sometimes it won't even reach that point.When I insert the flash drive after bootup, nothing happens...
All this also happens (or rather does NOT happen :?) on my laptop with W2k.

Does anybody out there have any idea what's going on and, if yes, how to fix it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thank you even more for thinking it over
Albert.

mdb83
12-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Hey Albert,
Although I won't be any help to you, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

My programming professor and I both own Sandisk Cruzers (128MB) and neither of us can get them to work with Knoppix :?. They work perfectly with any Windows comp but freeze Knoppix during startup. I have had success with an older Kanguru-brand 64MB USB 1.1 flash drive and currently use it as a persistent home directory. But no luck whatsoever with the Cruzer. :cry:

Anyway, good luck, hopefully someone can find a cause or fix so we can get up and running.

-Mark

farcha
12-09-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks Mark, let's keep our fingers crossed...

pbs
01-08-2004, 10:55 PM
I found a cumbersome recipe for getting it to work.
Rather than crossposting same article, please see:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6087&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=