PDA

View Full Version : Been searching for ages

deadsoul
12-09-2003, 08:27 AM
I get and error message when i try to delete a program throught knoppix. I have it booted from cd, and just want that one file delelted. Currently my system restore is partition is messed, cause i accidently saved a program on it. All i want to do it remove it, i have seached and read all the faqs, Please help me :(

hplasm
12-09-2003, 11:55 AM
What is the file/path and what error do you get? :?:

deadsoul
12-09-2003, 12:06 PM
It's on my hda2, called partion magic.

Could not delete file /mnt/hda2/btmagic.pq/bmabout.pqg

I've logged in as root, the drive it mounted, the permissions are set. it's on a system restore partintion, which i still don't know how i manged to save on.

I think i found an alternative, quick solution, i have been seaching for about an hour now on how to save one program of 4.2 megabits (xp bootable, WinXP_EN_HOM_BF.EXE) on multple floppies. I only got on cd drive, and i am using it to run knoppix =(

ClubMan
12-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Apologies if this is obvious - have you made sure that the volume in question is read/write? By default Knoppix will mount hard disk partitions/volumes as read only. Right click on the volume icon on the desktop and choose unmount from the context menu; right click again, choose properties and clear the read only option on one of the tabs (not running Knoppix/KDE right no so don't have the details); right click once more and choose mount. Now see if you can delete the file in question. Hope this helps.

deadsoul
12-09-2003, 06:02 PM
i'ev read everything i can find. I don't have access to any of my drives even with this method. only one i can read is hda2 to with the recovery partition.

horo
12-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Hi deadsoul,

what is the output of "mount" and "fdisk -l" ? Also "dmesg | less" may give you some hints.

Ciao Martin

turbine
12-09-2003, 10:26 PM
A lot of y'all will probably object to this, but any port in a storm, right? Have you tried booting into windows and deleting the file?

deadsoul
12-10-2003, 12:23 AM
ting 100mbps full duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1
eth0: Setting 100mbps full duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1
mtrr: no more MTRRS avaible (this line repeated 19 times)

I don't have a windows disk to start from, my comp goes to system recovery on boot, and says i don't have one (but i can see it in knoppix), then reboots and goes back to system recovery.