PDA

View Full Version : Linux noob.. few questions getting set up..

koma
12-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Hi.. i've been playing around for a little bit now.. and have come up against a few questions.. im pretty much self taught so don't know much in a lot of depth..

i just need a little advice on saving my mounts.. where do i set these? i don't want to have to log in each time and mount my devices :/

how do you create a shortcut for amsn? at the moment i have to create a terminal session open up the dir then exec by typing ./amsn - surely theres an easier way?

how do you set a default browser? im using firebird at the moment.. and find when clicking on links inside evolution it opens up in konqueror.. can this be changed?

sorry for all the questions.. it's never easy starting out! thanks for any help in advance..

Stephen
12-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi.. i've been playing around for a little bit now.. and have come up against a few questions.. im pretty much self taught so don't know much in a lot of depth..

i just need a little advice on saving my mounts.. where do i set these? i don't want to have to log in each time and mount my devices :/

how do you create a shortcut for amsn? at the moment i have to create a terminal session open up the dir then exec by typing ./amsn - surely theres an easier way?

how do you set a default browser? im using firebird at the moment.. and find when clicking on links inside evolution it opens up in konqueror.. can this be changed?

sorry for all the questions.. it's never easy starting out! thanks for any help in advance..

The mounts are controlled by in the /etc/fstab by the lines for the mount in the file, remove the no in the noauto in the line and they will be mounted on boot. To create the shortcut either use the kappfinder to see if kde sees the program on the system and never put it in the menus or use the menu editor and create a shortcut if it is not seen by the kappfinder both options are in the system menu. For the webbrowser open Konqueror and go to the settings menu then configure konqueror next file associations and move or add firebird if not already in the dialog for the associations for the file type .html to the top of the list for the associated type for html.