PDA

View Full Version : Dial-up Modem Issues. Keeps saying "Initializing Modem&

panthrax
12-11-2003, 08:03 PM
I have just recieved my Knoppix 3.3 disk. I started it up, and started to set everything up.

When I got to setting up my internet connection/modem I began to experience problems.

After setting up my internet connection, and what I could with the modem, I clicked "Connect" to connect to the internet.

I would get the following messages when clicking "Connect"

"Modem Ready"
"Initializing Modem"

This is where is just sits there. I have waited as long as aprox. 3 minutes and still having that same message. Please help. Thanks.

L2Cache
12-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Hardware or software (winmodem) modem? If it's a winmodem, you will need to look for a driver for it. Start at: linmodems.org
In kde, you can set up with kppp and run the modem test to see if the modem is working.

Bartman
12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
First of all, what kind of modem is it? Internal, external, what chipset does it use, etc. Have you used the modem with Linux before? If not, are you sure it's not a winmodem? (See www.linmodems.org for info.)

Assuming (for the moment) that you have a modem that works with Linux, first thing to do is go into kppp settings, find the "Query Modem" button, and see if this communicates OK with the modem. If it does, things are looking up. If not, ensure the port the modem is using (eg. /dev/ttyS1 or whatever) is set correctly in kppp.

Post back with your results. If the modem is internal, do an 'lspci' at a terminal and post that too.

Bartman