PDA

View Full Version : IntelliMouse Optical does not work on USB

cybersmurf
12-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi!
I've got a problem with my Microsoft Intellimouse (as if Microsoft stuff would work properly immediately). If I plug it in on USB, Knoppix detects it and names it Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. Until here there's no problem, but as soon as I want to move he mouse, nothing happens. I've already encountered that problem on Mandrake Linux 9.1, and I don't know waht to do.
Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Cuddles
12-23-2003, 01:41 PM
CyberSmurf,

I have a M$ ItelliMouse "Explorer" optical mouse, but I used the USB ---> Mini-Din thingy to plug it into my PS/2 port - works fine, I did have to go into Knoppix Control Panel and change the device from a Generic Three Button Mouse, to "close enough" M$ IntelliMouse w/ wheel - but it has always worked.

Can you possibly test your mouse out and do the same? Use the USB/PS-2 converter that came with the mouse, and try it on your PS/2 port?

Assuming that you have a PS/2 port, didn't think that maybe this system you are on could be a laptop, and I am not sure if laptops come with PS/2 ports. I guess my thinking on trying this out is, to see if Knoppix can use the same device, just on a different access point. If it works, maybe something to do with the USB, if it doesn't work, I'm lost, sorry :oops:

I haven't tried anything on my Knoppix that is connected to my USB yet, even though I have a SanDisk Flash device hanging off a USB port currently, I have never tried using it yet.

Just trying to help,
Cuddles

cybersmurf
12-23-2003, 03:26 PM
Hi Cuddles,
I'm running my mouse on the PS/2 port, otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it, and it's working fine.
Other USB-devices like memory-sticks are working fine, but only the mouse does not. perhaps it is a driver problem.
Anyway, thank you very much for your hint.