PDA

View Full Version : onboard NIC

replica9000
12-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Knoppix used to work just fine on my ECS mainboard, but now i have upgraded to a Soyo KT333 Dragon Plus. It detects eth0 fine, but DHCP doesn't work. I;ve tried entering the IP and all that manually, and it still doesn't connect. Anyone know what the problem could be?

activeco
12-14-2003, 09:26 PM
What do you mean by "dhcp", client or server?
Are you behind a router or do you have a direct connection to internet?

replica9000
12-15-2003, 06:48 AM
I'm behind a router, i would be the DHCP client

Harry Kuhman
12-15-2003, 07:07 AM
Try booting Knoppix with the noapic option. Also, try booting then open a shell and enter "sudo mii-tools -r" then run "netcardconfig" and see if dhcp works (if it still doesn't, see if you can configure it manually, also done in netcardconfig).

activeco
12-15-2003, 09:44 AM
edit: sorry, double post.

activeco
12-15-2003, 09:49 AM
I'm behind a router, i would be the DHCP client

Don't forget to add the PC again in the router (software side).

replica9000
12-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Still no luck. the no apic option seems to make no difference. I even manually put in the IP, netmask, etc...

Knoppix says it detects eth0, could it be detecting it wrong??

Harry Kuhman
12-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Still no luck. the no apic option seems to make no difference. I even manually put in the IP, netmask, etc...

Knoppix says it detects eth0, could it be detecting it wrong??

Let's figure out what's working and what's not. You say you're behind a router, would that be a home cable/DSL router/switch like the Linksys? Do you have other computers on your network? Can you ping the router or the other computers? What happens when you try to do a netcardconfig? Any error message?

replica9000
12-15-2003, 10:56 PM
The computer doesn't see the router at all. When I use netcardconfig and let it use DHCP, it just fails. so I enter in all the numbers manually, and it tells me the network is unreachable. Oh and yeah it's a Linksys Cable/DSL router. I've even tried directly pluging the PC into the modem, still nothing. Everything ran fine on my ECS board.

arkaine23
12-15-2003, 11:38 PM
try booting with the cheatcode-

knoppix noapic

activeco
12-16-2003, 12:19 AM
The computer doesn't see the router at all. When I use netcardconfig and let it use DHCP, it just fails. so I enter in all the numbers manually, and it tells me the network is unreachable.

If your enter all the numbers manually, among other things IP address, do you specify the same IP for that PC in your router setup?

Do you have second NIC plugged? Are there some BIOS settings for the onboard NIC?

replica9000
12-16-2003, 01:19 AM
The mac address for the nic is stored in the router, so the PC always gets the same IP running Win or Linux. I'm running WinXP on the same computer. I tried the no apic option and nothing different happened. And the only setting in the bios for the onboard LAN is to turn it on or off. That's the only NIC in the machine.

replica9000
12-16-2003, 01:44 AM
What is the root passord for knoppix?

Harry Kuhman
12-16-2003, 06:46 AM
The computer doesn't see the router at all. When I use netcardconfig and let it use DHCP, it just fails. so I enter in all the numbers manually, and it tells me the network is unreachable. Oh and yeah it's a Linksys Cable/DSL router. I've even tried directly pluging the PC into the modem, still nothing. Everything ran fine on my ECS board.
Keep the linksys in the connection, it should help. If you have to log in, the Linksys is already taking care of that for you; if on cable the cable provider already gets along fine with the Linksys mac address, no reason for it to see any different one. Plus the Linksys gives you a local known IP address that you should be able to ping.

What does "it just fails" mean? What does the message say, if there is one (and if there isn't then how do you determine it failed). Does a "sudo mii-tool -r" command from a shell work ok? (don't worry, you don't need a root password.) If so, try a netcardconfig after that and see if that works, but if it gives you an error please tell us what the error is.