PDA

View Full Version : Troubles booting Knoppix...

knopperj
02-05-2003, 10:27 PM
I have searched these forums but haven't found a solution to my problem yet, so I thought I'd post here.

I burned the CD and made a boot disk (as my cd-rom is incapable of booting), I run the boot disk which gets me into the Knoppix boot screen. Then, after the penguin image goes away I get what appears to be a screen that will output the actual OS init screen.

However, the first thing it says is 'isapnp checksum invalid for device 1 (0x23)' (or similar to that), which makes me a bit suspicious. Then, it says that it is looking for a cd-rom, and this is where it errors out saying 'Knoppix filesystem not found' and dumps me to the limited shell.

I've burned two different cds (the latest version of Knoppix, then 01-20-03 one, as well as the 01-03-03 one, or whichever was the second most recent...) and this problem has come up each time. I've got two drives, one a cd burner and the other a regular cd/dvd-rom. My machine is a Dell machine with not much in the way of changes from it's initial state from when I got it (new vid card and I've moved the cd burner to another machine and back again, but things all seem to be just fine as far as hardware goes).

So, if anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it. i'm a bit of a newb when it comes to Linux and stuff like this, but I am eager to give Knoppix a try.

Thanks for any help.