PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions !!!

paf
12-16-2003, 01:42 AM
Hi all, I,m trying out this version 3.3. :) and I really like it. I installed it to hd as Knoppix.
Now for the questions,
1. why can't i switch user to the one I set up on install???
2. I have a extra partition which is empty and i can,t make a directory in it, "access denied" it mounts ok, and there's a "lost&found" folder in it that is locked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Knoppix is the BEST linux distro ever, kudos Mr. Knopper.:D

Thanks goes out to everyone that gives their time and knowlageto help out noobs like me. :D :D 8)

Thanks you,
Paf

rickenbacherus
12-16-2003, 02:48 AM
Hi all, I,m trying out this version 3.3. :) and I really like it. I installed it to hd as Knoppix.
Now for the questions,

Let's see if I understand you correctly. You cannot log in as user even though you;re giving the correct password? Log in as root and issue passwd username

THen change the password for that user. If that fails you can easily create a new user like so:

adduser dude

2. I have a extra partition which is empty and i can,t make a directory in it, "access denied" it mounts ok, and there's a "lost&found" folder in it that is locked.

It sounds like you created the partition and formatted it ok. If you're root then you should be able to write to it. If you;re not root then change ther permissions so that user can write to it like so:

chmod 777 /mnt/whatever

For example here's a partition that I use for media:

/dev/hda10 on /media type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

Notice that it's mounted rw (read write).

A. Jorge Garcia
12-16-2003, 04:19 AM

You need to knoppix-install as debian to get the kdm login screen. Can you switch to vt2 and X -query localhost :1? Take a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30269 first.

2. I have a extra partition which is empty and i can,t make a directory in it, "access denied" it mounts ok, and there's

Sounds to me that you mounted the drive but forgot to make it read/write. Right-click on the partition's icon on your desktop and select "change read write mode."

Good Luck!

paf
12-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Sorry for the late reply , I had to go get my shoulder physio.
Thanks for the answers.

I created a new user and password, but when I reboot, there still is no option for switching users, only Knoppix is available.

I will re-install as "debian and see if it fixes it!

Paf

Kentaur
12-19-2003, 11:22 AM
I encountered the same problem with one of my hard drives being called Lost/found. I'll see if mounting the partition and setting it to read write will work when I get home from work today.

PS: Paf please write a more describing title for yopur topic the next time. That way it is easier to see what your topics is about and if it is relevant for other useres of the forum. There is so much information on the net today that we don't need to make things harder to find than they already are. :)