PDA

View Full Version : Windows and knoppix network

ssnow
12-16-2003, 02:18 AM
Hey I hope someone can help me.
I have a home network with windows 2000 and xp and i have recently added a knoppix computer. Knoppix can open all of the windows computers and the windows computer see the knoppix computer but when i go to open it windows asks for a password. I have tried what little i know about linux and knoppix and had no luck. Can someone tell me what to do step by step i would be happy. Thankx

rickenbacherus
12-16-2003, 02:43 AM
Perhaps our lovely Docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick) section can help you out.

ssnow
12-16-2003, 03:07 AM
I didn't see anything about accessing the knoppix from windows all i saw was knoppix accessing windows.

CrashedAgain
12-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Check it again, there is comment about browsing knoppix from windows in the docs. See also my post in reply to 'Samba script not working after HD install of v3.3' in this forum.
It is probably asking for the smbpasswd or the winows box ID to log on as a user. You have to have your windos box ID entered as a Linux user and also a samba password for that user. The author of the 'docs' page gets around this by setting the samba 'secure=share' instead of 'secure=user' but this is not very secure. You also have to enable sharing of the Linux directory.