PDA

View Full Version : live-cd can't get network to work

hicks
12-16-2003, 04:47 AM
i'm a linux newbie. i downloaded the 3.3v of knoppix live cd and i can't seem to get the network to work. my netcard is recognized, i run netcardconfig but i can't get on the network. the network connects to the internet. i get the ip, subnet, gateway, dns, everything. same thing works on suse and mandrake live cds. i need help. what can i do? :?

rickenbacherus
12-16-2003, 06:14 AM
Networking 101:

Can you ping by i.p.?

ping 66.218.71.198

If so can you ping yahoo.com

ping www.yahoo.com

You can try to restart the network interface like so:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

You can also run pump:

pump

What kind of NIC?

jeremybergeron
12-16-2003, 03:13 PM
I am also looking to use the live knoppix to connect to my lan. I have a windows 2003 server, and would love to use the live knoppix as a client boot disk.

It states that "lisa" (Linux Internet Server Administration) is not running because with the live knoppix you don't get root access. which you need to get it started.

So- how do I start lisa with the live knoppix? Or, do I need to set up knoppix on a hard drive, install all the drivers, settings, and programs I want for the client machine, then burn it to a bootable iso cd rom?

Well, once I learn how, I post back!

horo
12-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Hi Jeremy,

...because with the live knoppix you don't get root access...
In a Konsole (the screen with the seashell) type "sudo su" to become root. Or change to VT1..4 with <ALT><CTRL><F1>..<F4>, there you are root, back to KDE with <ALT><CTRL><F5>.

Ciao Martin

hicks
12-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Networking 101:

Can you ping by i.p.?

ping 66.218.71.198

If so can you ping yahoo.com

ping www.yahoo.com

You can try to restart the network interface like so:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

You can also run pump:

pump

What kind of NIC?

well i'm new to linux, not that new to networks :)
no, i cannot ping to ips or urls. i cannot even ping my gateway (which is at my isp's). it all works fine with windows, suse 9.0 demo and mandrake move (both live cds).
my netcard is d-link dfe-530tx.

Stephen
12-16-2003, 04:47 PM
well i'm new to linux, not that new to networks :)
no, i cannot ping to ips or urls. i cannot even ping my gateway (which is at my isp's). it all works fine with windows, suse 9.0 demo and mandrake move (both live cds).
my netcard is d-link dfe-530tx.

What does lsmod in a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) tell you you should see 8139too listed with a 1 beside it at least that is what is uses for my card but it is a tx+. You can try mii-tool -r to restart the card autonegotiation and then do netcardconfig to configure the card.

§py
12-18-2003, 03:37 AM
hm... u can try using slackware live cd

http://www.slackware-live.org

i havent try b4.. well.. guess and hope its nice...

horo
12-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi,

a new star (kanotix.mipooh.net) will be born RSN. Its worth a try!

Ciao Martin

gjsgjsgjs
12-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Try adding thefollowing to the end of /etc/init.d/networking:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/cm0/rp_filter

Let me know if that helps...

hicks
12-19-2003, 11:35 PM
nothing really helped. but, i thought to give it another try so i loaded knoppix and as usuall just tried to setup the network (netcardconfig, nothing special) and for some strange reason it actually worked. i have no idea why since i've been trying the same thing for a while now. go figure. so this time i saved the settings and now it works every time i boot knoppix.
i only wish i knew how or why.
thanks for all the help though.

bobbybase
01-02-2004, 02:29 PM
If you have a Realtek 8139 card you need to use the cheatcode NOAPIC when booting off your live CD.

hicks
01-02-2004, 08:22 PM
i tried that one too. did not make any change. :(

Harry Kuhman
01-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Have you read these threads:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164

and

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117

and does it sound like your problem?

gordonb
01-03-2004, 01:59 AM
I've gotten wireless networking to work on my laptop without problems. It's a Inspiron 7000 400MHz with a Linksys WPC11 v. 3 pcmcia card.

First, I booted from Knoppix 3.3 disc with the nodhcp lang=en display=wmaker boot parameters. (I use static IP at home). The disc recognized the card and loaded the appropriate drivers.

Then, to set up the network I got to root then ran iwconfig. Enter the ssid ("cove_circle") and the network type. "Managed" (the default) is the same as "infrastructure" in Linksys's terminology. I didn't use WEP at first. All of the other parameters iwconfig asks for may be left blank.

Then enter:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.105 (use your computer's IP number on the network)
ifconfig eth0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

Finally, edit /etc/resolv.conf to list your DNS nameservers.

That's it. It just works.

gordonb
01-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Further adventures in getting a Linksys wireless card WPC11 to work under Knoppix on Dell Inspiron 7000:

When I boot from the Knoppix 3.3 dusc, the Linksys WPC11 is recognized without a problem. Once I did the hdinstall (using knx-install not knoppix-install), the wireless card would not be recognized. I don't know if an installation under knoppix-install would do better.

During boot, I goot the message "eth0: Error -110 reading firmware info. Wildly guessing capabilities..."

After a little searching, I found this site (http://www.hoffmannet.com/~thoffman/inspiron/i7000wireless.html) which pointed out a problem with the Inspiron laptops:

"Basically, it looks like there is a strange or old PCI-PCMCIA bridge in the I7000. I believe that this is leading to port conflicts when the wireless drivers are loading. I solved the above problems on both wireless cards by making the following changes to my config files:

edited my /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file and changed:

include port 0x100-x4ff, port 0x00-0xcff

to:

include port 0x300-x4ff, port 0x00-0xcff

and for good measure I added below that line:

exclude port 0x100-0x2ff

Now, both the Cisco and the Lucent cards are working in both Linux"

I made those changes and now I'm on the network. Everything else appears to work at this point.