PDA

View Full Version : Wow where should I start?

hewittcw
12-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Hi this is my first attempt to use a Linux based operating system and there are a few things I need to get sorted on my PC's before I can really use Knoppix 3.3. I was hoping I could at least get pointed to the right place for some advice here :)

Firstly I can't add my HP Deskjet 995 or any other printer as I get a message saying that:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused.

What do I need to do here?

Secondly I want to try Knoppix on an older Toshiba Portege Laptop 7200 but it defaults to a 640 x 480 screen resolution and I can't find where to change it. Also I use a Belkin Wireless Network Card in a PC Card slot but it is not recognised by default so how should I proceed there? I actually have access to some other makes of Wireless cards from ELsa, Zoom, CIsco and Compaq available to me if this helps.

Finally I get an unrecognised bus message when trying to boot the CD on my New Sony Vaio PCG-GRT716S but I imagine this is purely a system that has not been included in the build to date but any insight into this would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Chris :D

knixkw
12-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Printer

Open a root shell via <Knoppix symbol on task bar><Root Shell>
Type: /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

Try to add a printer, again.

Toshiba

try at boot prompt: knoppix fb1024x768

j.drake
12-16-2003, 08:43 PM
This was my first Knoppix problem too. Turns out that there were 2-3 different ways to skin the cat, except it worked one way, and not the others. I had to go through the K menu rather than the configuration menu (which is what made sense to me). Here's the link to my thread:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3632&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Also, probably just a strange coincidence, but I went to HS with someone named Chris Hewitt. Hotshot was either valedictorian or salutatorian back in '77. He defended an authority-flouting classmate of mine from being impeached as student body president. :)