PDA

View Full Version : GeForceFX5200 under Knoppix - fails on driver install

fla
12-16-2003, 09:03 PM
Hi all!
I installed Knoppix3.3 - the latest one. It is really very well made and I love it!
Everything works fine, but... My FX5200 graphic card :(
All I wanna do is to install the latest 4496 NVidia driver. But when I run the file I receive the following error:

"No precompiled kernel interface was found to much your kernel"...

Does anyone have an idea what's going wrong and what should I do/read about this problem??

Thank you

Stephen
12-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi all!
I installed Knoppix3.3 - the latest one. It is really very well made and I love it!
Everything works fine, but... My FX5200 graphic card :(
All I wanna do is to install the latest 4496 NVidia driver. But when I run the file I receive the following error:

"No precompiled kernel interface was found to much your kernel"...

Does anyone have an idea what's going wrong and what should I do/read about this problem??

Thank you

Before you run the installer type in export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95 or export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 and enter key then run the installer decline the opportunity to download a pre-compiled driver and choose to compile your own driver and let it compile it. Then you have to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and put a # in front of the lines Load "GLcore" and Load "dri" and add Load "glx" if it is not there. You may want to check that the kernel-headers are linked to the directory /usr/src/linux an example:

[04:22 PM Tue Dec 16: stephen @ ~]
>$ ll /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx 1 stephen src 28 2003-12-03 09:44 /usr/src/linux -> kernel-headers-2.4.23.031202

If it is not linked to the 2.4.22-xfs kernel headers then use cd /usr/src and then ln -s kernel-headers-2.4.22-xfs linux to make the link then compile. One more thing use /etc/init.d/kdm stop to stop the KDE display manager before the compile. Then after having compiled the driver module and made the changes in the XF86Config-4 file /etc/init.d/kdm restart to re-start the display manager with the new Nvidia driver you should see the splash screen. All this as root from a console login at the KDE graphical login screen use the console login option in the menu item.

Knew I would forget something in the XF86Config-4 change the driver "nv" to driver "nvidia" example:

Section "Device"
Identifier "GeForce4 MX440 SE"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Damn really should read my notes first one more thing in the /etc/modutils/aliases you need the line:

alias char-major-195 nvidia

Then run update-modules as root to update the modules.conf for the next (re)boot.

fla
12-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Stephen, thank you very much for you great reply! I think this is all the info I needed!!

I'll try all this tomorrow morning perhaps, coz it is already late here :)
...And I'll be back with results :]]

Thank you once again that you've spent your time for writing this info to me!

fla
12-17-2003, 07:24 AM
Stephen, thank you again!!
I installed it exactly the way you've described - step by step even with the messages you said I would see :]]]

I also had a look at the README file which comes with the nvidia driver and I found that it is metioned there about MISMATCH... And I began thinking wouldn't it be better if I had read it once again before asking here? :|
Anyway reading the README first:
1. I didn't find the error message I received when trying to install the nvidia driver.
2. There was no exact description of how to use MISMATCH :]

So thank you again. I'm very very happy now with my KNOPPIIIIIIIIX! :]]

P.S.
So my other 'only problem' left - the internet, which works with Windouz, but not with any LINUX Live distribution (and not only)... I've read much over the net, but the problem seems to be in our admin, who I hope will have mercy and tells me what he has done to the internet server settings...

Stephen
12-17-2003, 08:48 AM
So my other 'only problem' left - the internet, which works with Windouz, but not with any LINUX Live distribution (and not only)... I've read much over the net, but the problem seems to be in our admin, who I hope will have mercy and tells me what he has done to the internet server settings...
Does your computer use static settings for the internet if so you should be able to get the settings you need with ipconfig from the dos command prompt in WinXP or if using Win98 then winipcfg from the Run command on the start menu. Then you can use the settings you get with netcardconfig in a console window in Knoppix. If you are using DHCP and cannot get a connection then try pump -i eth0 from a console window. Good to hear you got it going BTW.

fla
12-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Stephen, thank you again.
About the internet problem... I've posted in linuxquestions.org with a topic: "My internet works with Windouz, but with LINUX :(((" But it is already on the second page... Please have a look at it if you think you could help.
In few words: I know how to configure my eth0 device. I did it and it works well. But the problem is, that my provider uses some special magics and I don't know them :||
What is sure about my eth0:
1. It is correctly installed and working. No conflicts with other devices.
2. I do have internet. (;) Read further)

What is not sure:
1. The magic our admin uses... :|

I connect to the internet with a static IP. And NO DHCP is supported from our provider.
In Windouz I use IP, Subnet mask, Gateway, DNS.
So do I in LINUX. But... Both in Windouz and LINUX console I can't connect. In Windouz - only in graphical mode - no problems when using Mozilla, IE, mIRC, ICQ and other applications.
Under LINUX - no internet at all.
I CAN ping the LAN - neighbour computers, our gateway and DNS too. But nothing goes otside our LAN.
I've checked my settings many times, so they are OK, I'm sure that.
I've played a couple of hours with nmap and ethereal and I keep logs. Traceroute logs are also available ;))
As far as I can see from my logs: There are open ports in our gateway, but all ports in our DNS are closed or filtered. NO open ports.
...Why do I say 'I have a connection' then? Coz with a friend of mine who is NOT in our LAN... We tried ssh. I open sshd and he connects to me and we can chat. So there is a connection out of the LAN. The prolem is that I don't know whether it depends on a special port or a protocol that our admin uses :| And again: I do not have any problems when connectin in Windouz :|||
...The difficult thing is to contact our admin :| And even then it is almost sure I won't get any info from him :| Stupid, ain't it? :||

Thank you once again.

P.S.
I think it is better to move these topic to other part of this forum - "Networking" or to continue it in another forum, may be linuxquestions.org.
Here is my e-mail address:
turnovg@hotmail.com
If you have some free time left and/or you are curious about my networking problem, please mail me and I'll send you the logs I've made...

rinswind
12-31-2003, 01:43 AM
More info on knoppix with nvidia cards can be found herehttp://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31765#31765