PDA

View Full Version : How to edit configuration files

Lars Jensen
12-05-2002, 07:26 PM
Thanks for this great forum for this great distro. I just discovered it, and I am wondering how I can change the configuration files. Most seems to be read-only.

How do I edit files like xdm-config, hosts.allow, hostname, etc?

Thanks,
Lars.

mag
12-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Login as root and use your favorite text editor (gvim ,emacs, etc.) to edit config files. Config files are plain text files.

Hope this helps.

mag

Lars Jensen
12-14-2002, 11:54 PM
No, that was a pretty useless comment, try to be a little more constructive next time. Thanks.

But what I did find out is that the configuration files are typically symbolic links. Thus:

1) Delete the symbolic link
2) Copy the actual configuration file of interest from the CD
3) Now edit the configuration file.

Example:

cd /etc/kde3/kdm
rm /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc (delete symbolic link)
cp /KNOPPIX/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc . (copyfile back from CD)
vi /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc (edit file)

Lars.

mag
12-16-2002, 04:44 PM
First of all config files are not symbolic links at all. In your example, you gave a kdmrc as config file. It's not a config file but and rc(run command) file. Config files are just plain text files and do not have symlinks at all. Maybe you should learn the nomenclature. My intention was to only help you. Comments like "That was a pretty useless comment" will not get you anywhere. Please be more considerate toward other people. It doesn't sound nice and polite.

simple
12-16-2002, 06:26 PM
It says that the root login is "locked"(this on the cd use)(this means?)
If installing to the hard drive one source says that you cannot use the same "word" for both the username and the password. (with Linux) I did this and now it seems that I am unable to su to root privileges.
Do I have to re-install?
Thanks

Demon Worship
12-17-2002, 04:34 PM
I don't know squat, but this is how I edit config text files.

I have Epson stylus 2500 pro printer/scanner on USB.

To get scanner working I had to edit epson.conf file for the SANE module.
I opened file from Knoppix CD (read only) in editor (Kedit) and then saved it to the ram drive in knoppix home directory. That made the owner the Knoppix User. Then I edited it and ran Ximagescan scanner service (GUIsane mod) and then Kooka to make scans. Ximagescan found the file and my Epson scanner thereafter. Kooka program makes scans and allows setting scanner options. I was surprised that the Sane library, or whatever it is, even allowed me to use my Automatic Document Feeder.

WOW! I wish for every program I use, I could use Linux and dump Windows forever.

If I just copy and paste the file, or drag file it remains as the Root for owner and can't be edited.

I have read every post about Root and Passwords (here and LinuxTAG and stuff on the net) and still don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing, but the above worked for me. I've done SU PASSWD and SUDO PASSWD and just PASSWD in root shell, done LOGIN and SU Login and just get frustrated because it's not obvious what I'm actually accomplishing.

Maybe somebody will explain Root Passwords and Linux use better in a post for dumb new users like me sometime.

simple
12-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Thanks Demon Worship.
I also got advice from the post about "Knoppix as Webserver".
I agree with you about needing a "simple" explanation about Root etc. (and about life, Linux and everything)

Flibble
01-05-2003, 11:05 PM
Could do worse than check out the Rute users guide to Linux at http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Its reasonably "simple" ;>

01-06-2003, 08:24 AM
To set the root password, open a root shell (from KNOPPIX Menu), and issue

passwd root

-Lars.

Dave_Bechtel
01-07-2003, 08:03 AM
--FYI, when running from the CD - many/most config files *are* symlinks. If you want to edit them, you have to rm the symlink 1st and cp the file from /cdrom or /KNOPPIX to ' / '(ramdisk) or another writable Linux filesystem (not msdos or vfat.)

First of all config files are not symbolic links at all. In your example, you gave a kdmrc as config file. It's not a config file but and rc(run command) file. Config files are just plain text files and do not have symlinks at all. Maybe you should learn the nomenclature. My intention was to only help you. Comments like "That was a pretty useless comment" will not get you anywhere. Please be more considerate toward other people. It doesn't sound nice and polite.

Dave_Bechtel
01-07-2003, 08:16 AM
--Try ' man passwd ' for more help. Basically, on the CD the root user has no password - and neither does the knoppix user. If you want to allow remote logins to the CD environment, you have to set a password for the existing user(s) or add another one. Same if you install to HD.

--In CD mode, Ctrl-Alt-F1 thru F4 are Root shells. (Alt-F5 gets you back to KDE / Xfree86.) From the GUI Konsole shell, you can ' sudo bash ' and it will start a root shell. (Ctrl-D to exit the shell.)

--To set / reset a password for root: (first you must be at a root prompt - see above)

' passwd root ' == If you have to log-in as root, you must now know the password.

For knoppix userid:
' passwd knoppix '

If I just copy and paste the file, or drag file it remains as the Root for owner and can't be edited.

I have read every post about Root and Passwords (here and LinuxTAG and stuff on the net) and still don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing, but the above worked for me. I've done SU PASSWD and SUDO PASSWD and just PASSWD in root shell, done LOGIN and SU Login and just get frustrated because it's not obvious what I'm actually accomplishing.

Maybe somebody will explain Root Passwords and Linux use better in a post for dumb new users like me sometime.