PDA

View Full Version : K3.3 - good news, bad news

oldgeezer
12-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Never had any install problems with 3.2, but the latest 3.3 gave quite a few. Initially, it would fail to reboot into KDE after installing to h/d, giving a 'dcopserver...' error message during the setup of intercomms., the first KDE setup process. This occurred regardless of which option (Debian or Knoppix CD) was chosen for the disc install and whether the new (knoppix-installer) or old (knx-hdinstall) installer was used. The 99 99 problem also showed up once. The name substituted for 'box' might've been too long, as changing this to three letters finally gave a valid install. However, although choosing screen=640x480 and vga=normal for use on an old testbench setup, the picture size was that of an 800x600, even though the res. seemed correct; changing the monitor and graphics card selections to generic choices, unlike previous experiences with all Linux flavours including K, has not so far corrected this problem? Suggestions, please? This did not happen with an install from 3.2. Another problem with 3.3: the offer of a boot floppy at the very end of the install flashed across too quickly to intercept for a 'Yes' selection. Not a serious issue as I guess a boot flopy can be prepared subsequently?
And finally, running 3.3 from the CD alone, it was possible to print successfully using the USB port after installing the printer from print manager. Unfortunately, it has still not been possible to achieve printing via USB from any installed version of 3.2/3.3, as indicated in another thread - all previous suggestions heeded-none worked. Frequently, the print manager and/or printer list fails to show up. A 3Com USB radio has worked immediately with no file changes on all installations - so the bus is operational. I've obviously missed something elementary. A lot more suggestions would be very much appreciated, please.
Thank you,
OG.

stux
12-17-2003, 09:51 AM
"it would fail to reboot into KDE after installing to h/d, giving a 'dcopserver...' error message during the setup of intercomms., the first KDE setup process. This occurred regardless of which option (Debian or Knoppix CD) was chosen for the disc install and whether the new (knoppix-installer) or old (knx-hdinstall) installer was used."

While developing an 'hd-install' for Stux (a Slackware based Knoppix customization) I got a dcopserver error too, i suppose is the same problem, but i am not sure.
Just try a
chmod 777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
and see if this fixes the dcopserver problem.
Bye
Jack

oldgeezer
12-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks for that, stux. Unfortunately, the dcopserver item has gone away now and I'm not keen to rediscover it. The error message did suggest to see if dcop was running. How?!! I suspect that our resident gurus already know the answer to this one, so we shall wait till they pick up on it and enlighten us!
OG.

stux
12-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks for that, stux. Unfortunately, the dcopserver item has gone away now and I'm not keen to rediscover it. The error message did suggest to see if dcop was running. How?!! I suspect that our resident gurus already know the answer to this one, so we shall wait till they pick up on it and enlighten us!
OG.

Ok, but if you have not the 777 permissions on /tmp/.ICE-unix, that could be the problem.

root@STUX:/mnt/hda9/liso-0.6# ls -la /tmp/
total 16
drwxrwxrwt 7 root root 240 Dec 17 15:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 460 Dec 17 14:12 ..
drwxrwxrwt 2 gp users 80 Dec 17 14:13 .ICE-unix

Bye
Jack

horo
12-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Hi stux,

Just try a
chmod 777 /tmp/.ICE-unix

better do "chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix". This gives you the last t in your rights string drwxrwxrwt; everyone can write but you can delete _only_ your own files. It's the same permission as /tmp has.

Ciao Martin

stux
12-18-2003, 01:57 AM
Hi stux,

Just try a
chmod 777 /tmp/.ICE-unix

better do "chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix". This gives you the last t in your rights string drwxrwxrwt; everyone can write but you can delete _only_ your own files. It's the same permission as /tmp has.

Ciao Martin

Thank you Martin,
I am going to update hd-install for Stux consequently.

Ciao
Jack