PDA

View Full Version : USB flash memory defying me!

jpmierau
12-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Hi folks, any help greatly appreciated!

(PS: this is a repost from the bottom of a long thread in hardware, forgive me if this is against reg'lar use)

OKAY, here's what's up: In my konqueror view, sda1 (lexar jumpdrive) shows up, as does my card reader as sdb (oddly enough, just sdb even with three cards in it).

In fstab (after a rebuildfstab -r) I see entries for sda1, sdb1, sdc1 and sdb with the following syntax:
/dev/xxx /mnt/xxx auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

Here's the prob:
I can't write to sda1, the jumpdrive, though I can read from it (this is AFTER changing permissions to read, write, execute, & granting those permissions to all users through konqieror>>properties).

Much help would be appreciated, been pounding keys for 3 hours to absolutely no avail -- thanks in advance!

John

+++++++
Knoppix...it's a good thing!
+++++++

rickenbacherus
12-17-2003, 08:35 PM
KDE is a nice desktop environment and Konqueror is also nice but forget all of that for a moment. Open a term and find out how your drives are mounted.

mount

/devsda1 on /mnt/sda1 (rw)

It should look *something* like that. Particularly rw as opposed to ro.

jpmierau
12-17-2003, 09:47 PM
Huh.

The 'none' line is confusing, I hope you can make sense of it and help me complete my knoppix paradise! was expecting /dev/sda or somesuch, and have no idea where to go next.

--

root@homebox:/home/John# mount
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/root.old on /initrd type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/hdb1 type vfat (ro,nosuid,nodev,umask=000)

Cynetix
12-17-2003, 10:13 PM
I had the same problem and here is how I fixed my version of the problem:

First, make sure that there is a tiny, green triangle directly below the sda1 icon on your desktop. If not, the drive is not mounted. Right-click it and then choose mount.

Second, make sure your right-click on the sda1 and then left-click on "Change read/write mode". Wait a few seconds and now you should be able to access it.

Good luck,
~C
:twisted:

lunat1k
12-26-2003, 09:25 AM
KDE and/or Linux likes to think there are partitions on the usb keys, so it may work better if you manually mount sda (without a partition number).

ex: mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/mountpointyoucreated

OR,
use the vendor supplied windows utility to partition the usb drive into 2 or more partitions.

Give it a whirl!