PDA

View Full Version : can I use Knoppix to recover,run utiliies on this drive ?

duah55
12-18-2003, 11:38 PM
I have a hard drive,running XP home,that won’t boot to GUI.Keeps rebooting,I tried “fixmbr” but still reboots. Get this error” Pri master HD SMART status bad,backup and replace”

Tried R restore XP,but cant remember admin password

What started this was,I was converting audio files from CD to real player MP3s
Got a freeze up and this error
"windows delayed write failed" windows/system32\config\syEventEVT., failure computer hardware or network,

I am able to boot from a live Knoppix linux CD,how can I use linux to recover,run utiliies on this drive so it boots in XP?

Dave_Bechtel
12-21-2003, 12:42 AM
--Your HD is going bad. Buy a new HD of equal or larger size, and you can use the Knoppix CD to copy things over. There are multiple things you can use, everything from "tar" to 'dd' to 'partimage', etc. Search the forums and Google around a bit.

--Here's a link to get you started:
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

--I recommend a fresh install of XP on the *new* HD tho, and switch from NTFS to FAT32 if you want to share files with $non-MS-OS-here.

--BTW, I highly recommend a HD fan for 7200rpm and higher drives. See example here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=561084&Sku=U10-8102

I have a hard drive,running XP home,that won’t boot to GUI.Keeps rebooting,I tried “fixmbr” but still reboots. Get this error” Pri master HD SMART status bad,backup and replace”

Tried R restore XP,but cant remember admin password

What started this was,I was converting audio files from CD to real player MP3s
Got a freeze up and this error
"windows delayed write failed" windows/system32\config\syEventEVT., failure computer hardware or network,

I am able to boot from a live Knoppix linux CD,how can I use linux to recover,run utiliies on this drive so it boots in XP?

hugeness
12-23-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi - hope this is not a time consuming distraction, but it is possible if all else fails to recover passwords with hack tools such as brute force. I believe you can download trial versions of these apps. - just do a google search or look on the free windows applications websites. I have seen specific XP password recovery pages in passing but have never had to use them to date.
bestbest

duah55
12-26-2003, 02:18 AM
thanks for tips, thats a good knoppix guide

I built this PC,its small box with 2 drives very close together,that may be heat related, but western digital says to return it

so no room for fans,although i did build an extra fan on the box,its a all in one PC chips mobo-built in CPU fan,supposed be 1 gz,but its really about 700mz speed,so doubt im creating that much heat

duah55
12-30-2003, 04:52 PM
I am unable to see any image files to recover,using knoppix as live boot,so if i cant see them,or open with knoppix "magic viewer" I can assume they are corrupted and lost for good?? :(