PDA

View Full Version : Network Configuring and Linuxant Driver for wifi

johnsandidge
12-19-2003, 02:50 AM
Has anyone had experience with the Linuxant Driverloader? I have not been able to get my Atheros 5001x Wifi card (in a toshiba satellite p15-s409 laptop) to work with the Madwifi driver so I though that I would try the Linuxant driverloader. All seemed to go well with the installation. The instructions stated that I should be able to recognize the card as eth1, which made sense, and then configure.....but, being very much a newbie, I've not been successful in finding the way to configure. I thought it might be under system configure, network....but did not find a "configure" tool. I'm sure this is simple and that I am overlooking something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

rayhiker
01-03-2004, 01:46 AM
John,
I don't know about Linuxant, but you may want to check out ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/). It works great for my Broadcom card -- and it's free!
Ray

tape
01-06-2004, 04:02 PM
i just got it running on my Sony Vaio PCG-F305 Laptop.
If the installation (including teh web based part) went well then you have to set up the network card, at first do a "ifconfig [ifname] up" where ifname should be the interface name like eth0/eth0.
After this the interface should be up (use "ifconfig" to check this) and can be configured through regular tools.

to see what settings are used:
iwconfig eth0

set up the ssid of your wlan (same as on your AP)
iwconfig eth0 essid [ssidname of your ap]

set up the channel number
iwconfig eth0 channel 9 # if its channel 9

set up the encryption if any ("enc s:keyname" if it is an string)
iwconfig eth0 enc s:yourkey # or enc [yourkey]
or do a man iwconfig for examples

turn on OpenAuthentication (where [1] is the keynumber inc. brackets)
iwconfig eth0 enc [1] open

turn on encryption
iwconfig eth0 enc on

if the network interface is not configured manually and there is an DHCP server up and running (maybe on your AP side) use
pump eth0
to set the ip number through DHCP
or any other tools to set up your newly installed network card. This is it how it did work for me. But i now have to check out how the settings can be stored under knopix. There are gone after a reboot, and it seems the knoppix network installation did not save them permanently.

hth
Anton

Has anyone had experience with the Linuxant Driverloader? I have not been able to get my Atheros 5001x Wifi card (in a toshiba satellite p15-s409 laptop) to work with the Madwifi driver so I though that I would try the Linuxant driverloader. All seemed to go well with the installation. The instructions stated that I should be able to recognize the card as eth1, which made sense, and then configure.....but, being very much a newbie, I've not been successful in finding the way to configure. I thought it might be under system configure, network....but did not find a "configure" tool. I'm sure this is simple and that I am overlooking something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John