PDA

View Full Version : ftp: accessing hda2 issues. can only see ramdrive

easement
12-19-2003, 03:43 PM
I am able to connect to the FTP server, but can only see ramdrive. I want to see hda2 (type NTFS) to download files. on the desktop, I see the green arrow so that I know that hda2 is mounted.

I think what I need to do is make a symbolic link, but I'm not sure.

I tried ln -n /dev/hda2 /olddrive and I got an error. I also tried ln -n /mnt/hda2 /olddrive and got another error.

Both of these commads were issued in /ramdisk/home/knoppix/

tearinghairout
12-19-2003, 04:11 PM
It's a little hard to help you if you don't actually tell us what the errors you got were.

However, just having a guess, your suggestion about symbolic links sounds correct, but you are not actually creating symbolic links. ln creates hard links by default. Use the -s option of ln to create symbolic links.

Also, are you absolutely intent on using FTP? Setting up Samba to share your drives with another Windows machine is trivial if you use the KNOPPIX/services/Start Samba Server menu option.

easement
12-19-2003, 04:28 PM
I got samba working. However, I first battled with FTP yesterday before switching to samba to do the time sensive rescue operation. Today, I am going back and trying to see why the FTP thing didn't work out. I just wanted to know.

The -s worked. thanks. I read man ln, but I guess I misunderstood it.

thanks.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-20-2003, 02:48 AM
Why not just use ssh or fish?

Regards,