PDA

View Full Version : installing or using my cable modem ool line

illcuban
12-19-2003, 11:28 PM
how can i use my o[ptimum online cable modem wiht knoppix or how can i make it that the os can detect it pls write back if you know how to help me thnx :P

rickenbacherus
12-20-2003, 12:05 AM
I don't know the first thing about an Optimum modem but your OS doesn't detect a cable modem usually. Generally the OS detects your NIC and it in turn finds the cable modem. If you get your i.p. address via DHCP and your NIC is supported it should be quite simple. Open a terminal and enter:

sudo netcardconfig

If your card is supported then it should load the driver for it. To see if you have an i.p.:

ifconfig

If you need to restart networking:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Post some more details such as NIC model.

illcuban
12-20-2003, 06:20 PM
how do i find out my NIC im a newbe on this how do i find out my NIC and other stuff liek that

baldyeti
12-20-2003, 06:54 PM
From a console or a terminal window: type "sudo lspci" and if it shows an ethernet device, you might try configuring it with "sudo netcardconfig". As rick suggested, chances are your NIC gets its parameter from the cable modem via DHCP .

A. Jorge Garcia
12-20-2003, 09:02 PM
I'm on optimum right now, everything was recognized automagically.

What I'd like to know is how to add a router to my cable modem so I can run all my PCs as KNOPPIX boxes live on the net!

TIA,

Stephen
12-20-2003, 09:43 PM
I'm on optimum right now, everything was recognized aitomagically.

What I'd like to know is how to add a router to my cable modem so I can run all my PCs as KNOPPIX boxes live on the net!

TIA,

The general procedure is:
1. Plug in router to power
2. Unplug the ethernet cable that comes from the cable modem to your machine that is connected to the net and plug it into the router.
3. Plug in the ethernet cables that go from the router to the machines that you want to connect to the internet.
4. Use one of the machines to connect to the router through the web interface that is usually used to configure the router with a browser. You should consult the documentation that came with the router to see what its IP is and make sure you put the machine that is connecting to it on the same subnet eg. router has an IP of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 which is usually the settings then your machine connecting to it should have an IP of 192.168.0.2(up to 254) or 192.168.1.2(up to 254) and use for the broadcast .255 on the end of the 192.168.0 or 192.168.1 .
5. Configure the router to get it's outside (your internet connection) IP with the browser from your cable modem through either the static or dhcp settings that are used for your connection to the internet and make sure that you have the NAT (network address translation) settings turned on so you can share the connection.
6. Test that your connection works for the sharing after having configured the settings and if it works then configure the proper IP's for the rest of the machines to connect.
7. The most important part change the password on the router from the default so nobody can come by and hijack your connection and machines.
8. Go to http://www.grc.com and use the ShieldsUp port scanning utility to make sure none of your ports on any of the machines connected are open to the outside world. If any are use the routers configuration utility to close them down.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Thanx so much for all the detailed info, Stephen! I have everything ready to go but the router itself. Are there any issues I should be aware of when selecting a router to work with my 4 KNOPPIX boxes in my home office? If not, I was looking at some reasonably priced routers on ebay (LinkSys EtherFast Router), is that a problem?

TIA,

Stephen
12-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Thanx so much for all the detailed info, Stephen! I have everything ready to go but the router itself. Are there any issues I should be aware of when selecting a router to work with my 4 KNOPPIX boxes in my home office? If not, I was looking at some reasonably priced routers on ebay (LinkSys EtherFast Router), is that a problem?

TIA,

On the linksys model I bought and returned the IP was fixed (found this out later it was nowhere in TFM???) to 192.168.0.1 and even though the router would let you change it to another value (I like 192.168.0.254 for my gateway) it will not work with the different IP for the NAT and I stiil could get to the router with the new IP to configure it though so that is something to look for if you try the same IP change. So I returned it and plugged the cable back into the machine I have here that acts as my router/firewall/webserver and went back to the way it was. If you have a spare NIC you may want to put it into the machine you already use to connect to the internet and get a cheap hub plug the other machines into that run a cable from the hub to the second NIC and run a iptables script and use that machine as your router/firewall.

illcuban
12-21-2003, 04:22 AM
hwat or how do i make the linux os recongnise my internet its a cable modem i need it by steps on how to do it or where to go

rickenbacherus
12-23-2003, 01:20 AM
I will say it once again- neither Linux nor windows recognizes your modem. Have you ever seen your modem show up in the device manager under windows? What you will see is your Network Interface Card (NIC). Your OS sees the NIC and the NIC is what needs to see your modem. Open a terminal, (a shell). In the terminal type this:

sudo netcardconfig

If your network card is recognized then you should get an i.p. address. It will error if it is not recognized. You will need to post what kind of NIC you have for us to help you with the proper driver. If netcardconfig does not error then it should work. Find out if you have an i.p. like so:

ifconfig

You may also need to issue the 'pump' command to get networking started like so:

pump

Please post some more details on your hardware, specifically the NIC model you have. If nothing else you can open up the case and look.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-23-2003, 02:10 AM
What's the difference between

pump

and

pump -i eth0?

TIA,

illcuban
12-23-2003, 08:44 AM
k i got my ethernet card to be detected but i still can't use the internet wat can i do to u it

illcuban
12-23-2003, 07:51 PM
yes guys thnx for all the help now guys but i got the net to work thnx lata :P

A. Jorge Garcia
12-24-2003, 03:27 AM
If you have a spare NIC you may want to put it into the machine you already use to connect to the internet and get a cheap hub plug the other machines into that run a cable from the hub to the second NIC and run a iptables script and use that machine as your router/firewall.

OK, this sounds interesting. The PC with the NIC/HUB combo can still be used to surf and such or is it dedicated? What HUB do you recommend?

Regards,

Stephen
12-24-2003, 07:09 AM
If you have a spare NIC you may want to put it into the machine you already use to connect to the internet and get a cheap hub plug the other machines into that run a cable from the hub to the second NIC and run a iptables script and use that machine as your router/firewall.

OK, this sounds interesting. The PC with the NIC/HUB combo can still be used to surf and such or is it dedicated? What HUB do you recommend?

Regards,

Yes the machine acting as the router/firewall can still be used to surf or do whatever you want on it. The hub can be any brand as long as it works the one I use here is about 4 years old and only 10mb speed it has to have had tetra-bytes of data that has went through it you would want a 100mb at least I don't think you get one under that speed anymore at least not around here when I was looking around for one but my new dvd burner sort of ended that plan and now it looks like I got a bad HD in one of my machines so it's going even further on the back burner so to speak. Anyway back to the subject just get a 100mb hub the brand does not really matter get the two nics in one machine and run an iptables script for the NAT (Network Address Translation) they are a couple of packages in Debian that will do this that you can install with apt-get they are Firestarter (http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/), Bastille Linux (http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/) and what I use Arno's Iptables (http://rocky.molphys.leidenuniv.nl/) it is a script that you have to install it is fairly easy to setup and should pretty much work with changing a couple of settings in the configuration file if necessary and setting the permissions on the files as recommended in the instructions. Firestarter is a gnome based app that will run in KDE and is just about as point and click as you can get the Bastille Linux in addition to the router/firewall is a hardening script that sets up your machine with security in mind at all times.

And if you decide to go with the Arno's (maybe the others as well never used them long enough to find out) script you will want to edit the file /etc/init.d/klogd and make sure you have the setting KLOGD="-c 4" in the file to disable the messages that will be sent to the console by the firewall blocking all the windows machines on your network scanning your machine to make a connection because of all the junk MS enables by default, you have to restart the klog daemon with /etc/init.d/klogd restart for the changes to take effect.