PDA

View Full Version : Modem (Pctel) Trouble

xyris
12-20-2003, 08:17 AM
After doing everything as mentioned in the readme and other guides, when typing 'make' i get an error as that 'recursing error' and 'leaving directory'
Also i couldnt find the pctel.o and ptserial.o compiled file of stephen as the site gives a '404 file not found error'
Please Help and report if there is still and unbroken link to get the specified files above
Thank You

Stephen
12-20-2003, 09:21 AM
After doing everything as mentioned in the readme and other guides, when typing 'make' i get an error as that 'recursing error' and 'leaving directory'
Also i couldnt find the pctel.o and ptserial.o compiled file of stephen as the site gives a '404 file not found error'
Please Help and report if there is still and unbroken link to get the specified files above
Thank You

Sorry I removed them files months ago they would not have done you any good they were compiled for the 2.4.20 kernel IIRC. I just downloaded the tar.gz again and compiled with the 2.4.22-xfs kernel on the latest Knoppix you can get the files here (http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/scormier).

L2Cache
12-20-2003, 06:27 PM
This is a good post about using a winmodem in knoppix:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050#9512

xyris
12-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Hello guys
I tried to install with stephen's compiled files and succeeded finally but when trying to connect i get a 'no carrier' error.
I tried to rmmod and insmod the drivers as said in many manuals but failed
Then could you guys tell me how to fix this and also how to set a connection as there it asks for dns,ip...i dont know much about them
Please help
Thank you

L2Cache
12-21-2003, 05:50 PM
In kde, you could set it up in kppp as /dev/modem and do modem query to see if the modem is working.
I don't use a pctel in knoppix, but in RH 9, the insmod has to be forced since the drivers and kernel are compiled with a different version of gcc. In RH 9:
I use these scripts since I could find no way to make it work from /etc/modules config:

Modemon:
#! /bin/bash
/sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/pctel.o
/sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/ptserial.o
# end file
# You can save this file as modemon and then issue the commands
# bash$ chmod 700 modemon
# bash$ cp modemon /usr/bin/modemon
# Now, whenever you type in the command bash$ modemon , the modules will get loaded automatically

Modemoff:
#! /bin/bash
rmmod ptserial
rmmod pctel
# end file
# You can save this file as modemoff and then issue the commands
# bash$ chmod 700 modemoff
# bash$ cp modemoff /usr/bin/modemoff
# Now, whenever you type in the command bash$ modemoff , the modules will get unloaded automatically

In kde, you could probably put a shortcut to modemon in your kde autostart folder so it would run at startup.