PDA

View Full Version : more Compaq fun

gaje
02-06-2003, 04:53 PM
So I just got my Knoppix disc and tried to run it on my Compaq Persario 1685 and during the configuration process, it looked as if it couldn't find a thing. Then it froze my Computer with the last message being
"Kernal panic=no init..etc."
Please help!!
john

roberto
02-25-2003, 08:12 AM
actually you probably have a bad burn... this is common... if it says "cloop read error" or something of the like it probably was a bad download.

1.) run knoppix with the checkcd or whatever cheatcode (view cheat codes by pressing F2 at the "boot:" prompt) this will let you know if your cd is bad

2.) check the MD5 checksum of the image you downloaded

3.) i have seen this when the burner made a faulty disc or if the wrong c type was used.. try using a slower burn speed and different discs.

roberto
03-07-2003, 04:41 AM
erm.. is your last name long? hrm.. e-mail me if it is... maybe familial link somewhere...

toast

aay
03-07-2003, 06:47 AM
When you first boot up type "testcd" and hit enter. What do you get?

You can check this out and other cheat codes here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

k.otaku
03-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Whenever I get the "Kernal Panic=..." message it is usually because Knoppix can't get the correct memory (RAM) amount from the MOBO. The first thing I try is adding mem=xxxM to the knoppix boot line (where xxx= the amount of memory your box has).
Good Luck!