PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix

illcuban
12-21-2003, 04:26 AM
wat is knoppix basicly used for my firend told me to get it cuz my firend said that he hacked useing this os so im wondering r there any tips or anyhting for hacking or knoppix tips

Cuddles
12-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Hello Illcuban,

First thing, the term "hacker" can be of many definitions.

Hollywood and the Press would lead you to believe that a Hacker is a mallicious person, always on the prowl for a system to leave a "tag" that they were able to get into it on.

This definition can be true for any Operating System, i.e. any OS can get you into a system if you pound it, or have an "open door" through the back maybe.

I think the term "hacker", from what I get, within Knoppix, and Linux, and Debian, and Red Hat, and etc... is the "Open Source" theory. The Source Code is FREELY distributed so that anyone wishing to "add" personalized "features", can add them. Try that one with the WinOS. You might get lucky to EVER SEE the source for that OS. AND GOD FORBID, you ever change it behind M$'s back. You could get slapped with a LAW SUIT for who-knows-what.

The "openness" of GNU/Linux is it's POWER. It allows those with developing Guru status, to give back to something that is Ever-Growing, and EVERYONE benefits from it.

I think, if you are interested in the mallicious terminology of "hacker", you can just fire up your web-browser of choice, and do a search for "tips and tricks" to hacking Corporate Systems. If you are interested in "cracking", same explanation applies. I don't think the OS has anything to do with these issues, but, I can honestly say, if you are going to be hacking, or cracking, any system, it is probably going to be a system running a M$ Windows installed one. Just look at all the M$ Windows Patches that come out every time someone finds a "security leak". I honestly don't even think M$ has a clue, as to how much code "speggetti" they have in every Windows install. Let alone how to patch them. Sometimes, I think M$ is just AMAZED that your system even boots, let alone anything runs like it should. But, that is in My Humble Opinion.

As for the second querry you had; I am sure you can search the Forums here, or your web-browser, for "tips and tricks" for Linux. Maybe even someone might post something more than I on the subject.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Cuddles