PDA

View Full Version : Display

illcuban
12-21-2003, 04:28 AM
how come in the setting for display im only on a 24 bit color when im to have a 32 bit is it cuz my vedio card isn't recognised or wat i need help

Cuddles
12-21-2003, 01:37 PM
Illcuban,

I think you have the right answer.

My Knoppix refused to think of my Video Card as anything other than a Generic Video Card, and my monitor as anything but a Generic Monitor.

Go into the -=- sorry to say, I can't direct you specifically to the Configuration, my current system has a WinModem in it, and Knoppix hates WinModems - so do I for that matter :roll:

But, I think it's under the SYSTEM Menu, you can change your Keyboard, Mouse, Display, and Monitor settings in the program. I had to set up a persistant Knoppix Configuration and changed my Keyboard to "M$ Natural Keyboard", my mouse to a "M$ IntelliMouse", my video card to a "ATI All-In-Wonder Pro", and my monitor to a "ViewSonic 17" - which all of these things are what I actually have. After saving these changes to the Persistant Knoppix Configuration - I was able to get to my desired 1024x768 24bit screen settings. :)

The auto-detection of Knoppix is good, but in some cases, like mine, and maybe yours, it has a hard time deciding some of the "unique" hardware specifics, and defaults back to a "safer" generic hardware when in doubt. (this is actually a good thing though - cause if it defaulted to something you don't have, it could be damaging to your hardware.)

Case in point -=- setting a screen resolution of 2048x1024 32bit on a video card that can't handle it, or a monitor that can't, could damage either the video card or the monitor - or at least make a blank screen that you can't view on.

Hope this helps, I am sure others in this newsgroup will also have more input on this one - this newsgroup has the BEST people in it :) [ yes, that is a compliment all you helpful people, who probably don't get enough praise for all the help you do :) ] :D

Cuddles

windos_no_thanks
12-21-2003, 07:14 PM
If you can't get it working otherwise you might post the output
of "sudo lspci -v" here, someone with the same videocard might
be able to help you if they can find out what you actually have.