PDA

View Full Version : Information Needed: What should I install with?

Cuddles
12-21-2003, 02:23 PM
As the subject suggests:

Being new to the world of Linux, a lot of things are "new" to me...

I have been reading the Moving To Linux book, and even thought the author doesn't come right out and suggest a Linux "flavor", they do tend to favor the Mandrake install.

Having so many choices; Mandrake, Debian, Red Hat, etc... is more than this poor ol' girl can take. I'm used to the M$ world, you take what you get, like it or not, this is it, kinda stuff. It appears that in the World of Linux, Choices are numerous.

Can anyone give me some input on this subject? I guess the next question I am going to get is: "What do you want to do with it?"

I tend to use the web a lot, research, downloading shareware, utilities, and development "plug-ins" for Visual Basic. Word Processing, email, printing, photo retouching, wave file editing and creation. And I want to get involved with developing software within Linux - as soon as I learn the language within Linux - which I assume is probably "C" (another learning curve to climb).

I also enjoy playing audio CD's and DVD movies, and ripping backups of my system, new CD Audio files, compilation CD Audio discs, and the ocassional backup copies of my original "copyrighted" CD Audio discs.

I used to be a die-hard M$ follower, and was looking to Win[fill in the version of your choice] on my new system, but after seeing the Knoppix Live CD, I was FLOORED!

The guy at the puter store, [ma and pa type, with a high hardware knowledge], had to go through a whole re-configure with my change to Linux OS. He is also the one that handed me the "Knoppix CD" and asked me if I could get it running. He wants to start using it as OS installs on new puters he sells, but is more the hardware tech, whereas, I am the software. So, not only am I excited about Knoppix/Linux, but I have someone else that is also getting my excitement of it.

I think Linux is the future of OS', and am durn well going to give it it's shot. Considering the alternative, Win[etc...], and still they haven't gotten it right. I think Linux is going to leave that "other" OS in the dust.

So? Anyone got any ideas? I am decided on Linux as my next OS of choice, what one do you recommend? And why?

Thanks for any input, and as always, you people are the greatest :D
Cuddles

windos_no_thanks
12-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Since this is a Knoppix forum the answer is of course:
Put Knoppix on the hard drive! ;-)
You probably won't be fiddling with Visual Basic in any Linux
distribution though. But you don't have to code in C, at least not
if speed isn't a big issue. There are lots of choices, perl or python
for instance are ok for most things.

Cuddles
12-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Windos_No_Thanks,

[giggle] I was thinking about the Knoppix (Debian) Install - I have the "Knoppix Hard Disk Install Instructions" hard copy printed next to the monitor already :)

As for the poke at VB - I don't want it anyway - its a disk space hog - besides, VB is a dieing breed anyway. I can locate a programming book on Perl or Python, I am sure, I know I've seen them around, as well as the C language. I need to broaden my horizons anyway :D

My largest concern is going to be the updates, I only have a 56k Dial-up connection, and from what I hear, you want to get online and get the updates as soon as you can. [?]

I really like Knoppix, it has proven itself to me, something that Win95, and then Win98, hasn't done. I really didn't want to install Win98SE on my new system, it has way too many issues; I need to add all the s/w, all the drivers, migrate all my "important" files over, etc... And then along came Knoppix - what a blessing ! The Live CD detected everything, even though a few devices don't work - case in point: my WinModem - but that isn't Knoppix's fault, it did detect it, just can't talk to it. And lastly, this Forum. This Forum, and all its supporters, have made the decision to move to Linux a simple one, if not for the help and assistance in questions, but also in the enthusiasm that Knoppix, and its users, have shown me. I still can't believe that Linux has been around so long, and just a month ago, was the first I heard of it. Am I in a cave, or what? [giggle]

Thanks again Windos_No_Thanks for your input...
Cuddles

turbine
12-22-2003, 01:02 PM
We seem to have similar professional backgrounds and interests. I've written in VB for a lot of years and have been successfully porting a lot of my aps over to Perl. There are some GUI kits available that can make it rival VB without the expense.
I'm leaning toward a Debian install for the following reasons. My first and only linux was Red Hat 6.2, before Knoppix that is. I didn't use it for a couple of years. Recently went back to it, discovered that the Netscape browser was outdated so tried to download and install Mozilla. Got messages that I didn't have the proper glibc library. Went to Red Hat site and of course they no longer support version 6.2. Furthermore they're getting out of the desktop market. This is the sort of BS that is driving me away from M$.
I've been reading that Debian is easy to upgrade with their apt-get stuff and that sounds pretty good to me. Bought the 7 woody cd set and new hard drive but haven't found the time to install same yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cuddles
12-22-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks Turbine,

I appreciate the input. :)

I have seen "way" many Perl books in the stores, so, that sounds kewl. Especially since you said you can port your VB over to it, pretty easy. Some of my programs were, needless to say, utility programs that were lacking, and missing, within the Win[xxx] OS's. So, I don't think I'm going to need to worry about those any more.

I have heard a [many] few people saying Red Hat is not as good. Actually, some of the posts I have read around here, these people installed Red Hat, were dissatisfied with it, uninstalled it, and went to some other "flavor" of Linux. (and were satisfied)

Debian huh???? I've been looking at the "Discovery" of Mandrake 9.2 - but wasn't sure it included the development side packages, like the "Pro" states. I like the Knoppix "flavor", and knowing it is based into the Debian, since you need to hit the Debian site for security updates after you hard drive install Knoppix. That, and having the backing of Windos_No_Thanks, I just might stay here :)

I would love to get the "Woody" install, even though I have read a few posts of dissatisfaction of this version, I think they were isolated issues of hardware. Unfortunately, this years spending on Christmas gifts has gone a little wild, so, the new system I am getting is probably the last "big" spending for a little while.

All I know is, when GNU/Linux is up and running on the new system, the new web browser is getting its FIRST bookmark - this site. It has been so helpful, and welcoming. The Linux Community, as a whole, is simply wonderful :D

Those people stuck in the M$ Win World don't know how much they are missing. Let alone, the support. Having used, and not one to "jump" on the bandwagon everytime The Great God releases a new version of Windows, I have stayed behind in the Win98 shadows all this time. Which, M$ has now left in the "not supported" class now. I'd like to get back to "cutting edge" Windows, and I find, now, that it isn't a M$ OS. :D

Thanks again Turbine,
Cuddles