PDA

View Full Version : make menuconfig problem with 2.6 kernel

Joe999
12-22-2003, 03:12 AM
I just finished with a clean debian style install of knoppix 3.3, distro-upgraded to Debian Unstable. My plan was to then compile the official 2.6.0 release, but an odd error has come up. When I try any of the config options for the kernel (make config, make menuconfig etc etc) I get this error.

HOSTCC scripts/fixdep
In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2

Oddly, I tried with the 2.6.0 test 11 release, and make menuconfig works perfectly. I was really surprised not to find any matchs on a search here, or on google, given that I havn't done anything very unusual to this knoppix install after the dist-upgrade.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

turbinater
12-22-2003, 05:50 AM
Change line 305 of /usr/include/bits/socket.h from "#include <asm/socket.h>" to "#include </usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/socket.h>"

Either theres a broken link, or the file simply doesn't exist. If the file doesn't exist, it should come up with a similar error.

Dave_Bechtel
12-29-2003, 01:18 PM
--That's good info. However once I did that, the error changed:

jstar /usr/include/bits/socket.h
Processing '/etc/joe/jstarrc'...done

File /usr/include/bits/socket.h saved.
[ p166toshbox (scrn=) ]
52 root /usr/src/linux # make menuconfig
In file included from /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305,
from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/socket.h:4: asm/sockios.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2

--Are we missing a path somewhere? I know **very** little about C, could ldconfig have something to do with this? TIA

Change line 305 of /usr/include/bits/socket.h from "#include <asm/socket.h>" to "#include </usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/socket.h>"

Either theres a broken link, or the file simply doesn't exist. If the file doesn't exist, it should come up with a similar error.

Dave_Bechtel
12-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Latest info -- see:
http://www.mail-archive.com/list@epicsol.org/msg00240.html

--From there, somehow I did these things and THEN menuconfig worked:

apt-cache search glibc devel
dpkg -l|grep headers
apt-get install linux-kernel-headers
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

--Apparently the linux kernel headers need to be replaced. So I went back to the /usr file that I modified and changed it back.

--I get a couple of warnings, but now it seems to be working. Haven't compiled / rebooted yet, so YMMV. I'll try to keep everyone posted.

=========
Edit 2003-12-30

--Successfully configg'ed and booted 2.6.0 and it's running on a P166 Toshiba Tecra.

--Some issues:
o Framebuffer support for my Chips & Tech video is lacking; I had to recompile several times and experiment with ' vga= ' settings to get it working

o Something just went wrong with the 6-gig laptop HD and the whole partition table just got flushed (not sure if this has anything to do with 2.6 tho, could be hardware) so I have to restore from backup (and I lost all my 2.6 notes!) -- the drive is being tested on another machine right now with a laptop -> IDE adapter and badblocks, so right now the story is inconclusive