PDA

View Full Version : D-Link DWL-520+ doesn't work (?)

ephermeran
12-22-2003, 08:27 AM
I have the aforementioned PCI wireless card installed. Is it known if it will at all work with Knoppix? And if so, then how? I've already tried netcardconfig; DHCP doesn't work and I'm not sure what to put in the boxes in the manual config.

tearinghairout
12-23-2003, 05:13 PM
First step is to see if the card is recognised at all, then start trying to configure it later.

What do you get if you type iwconfig?

aay
12-24-2003, 05:23 AM
I have one and it works. Try wlcardconfig.

Post back if you have problems.

ephermeran
12-24-2003, 08:39 AM
iwconfig:

<pre>lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.</pre>
wlcardconfig:

Box pops up with "No wireless network card found."

<edit>So apparently it's not recognizing the card at all. I have no idea what the problem is, but I'm using the drivers that came with the card. I'll update and check again to see if it'll help (though I doubt it will).</edit>

ephermeran
12-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Even after updating the drivers, I still got the same errors. I really don't know how to go about getting my card to work now.

ephermeran
12-25-2003, 01:22 AM
I think I should also point out that at boot I get the message:

Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. (Background)

If it's detected, why do all the various commands say that no device is detected?

tearinghairout
12-25-2003, 02:03 AM
I'm guessing that your machine also has a regular network card, which is eth0.

Your wireless card - if it was recognised - would become eth1.

ephermeran
12-25-2003, 04:46 AM
Ah, of course. Yes, I have a regular network card already, though it's currently not in use (I have it there for when I have to sometimes move my computer downstairs, and I can grab some CAT-5 and run it right to the router). In that case, it's detecting the regular one, but not the wireless one, because I haven't seen anything about a eth1 anywhere while I was fiddling around with Knoppix.

Anyway, I still need to get my D-Link card up and running somehow. Any help from anybody would be appreciated.

tearinghairout
12-25-2003, 01:05 PM
I think that you might be out of luck.

I did a quick google, and the general consensus seems to be that the 520+ is based on the TI acx100 chipset, and TI won't release any information enabling drivers to be built.

Note the the 520 and 520+ seem to based on different chipsets, so any advice offered by 520 owners will not help you.

I did find a project attempting to develop drivers here http://acx100.sourceforge.net/ but this is all pretty low level experimental stuff involving kernel recompiles and such, and judging by their 0.2 version number, I gather they still have a long way to go.

Sorry

Oh, BTW, Merry Christmas.

aay
12-30-2003, 08:02 AM
Sorry. I have the 520 not the 520+ so it looks like you may be out of luck.