PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix newbie

johngrinham
12-23-2003, 07:02 AM
Another newbie, both to linux and knoppix. Have tried RH9, had a lot of problems with rpms. Tried to install Gentoo, too difficult.
Knoppix(3.2) installs ok(on hard drive), xine even works :P (most of the time).
Can't get my memory stick to work tho, it partly worked in RH9 but knoppix doesn't see it at all. My fstab entry is
/dev/sda1 /mnt/thumb msdos user,noauto 0 0
also,
how many files and in what order do I need to install them to make ALSA work.

Hardware I have is
AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2400+
512Meg DDR 226 Ram
GeForce 4 (by nVidia) MX440
Sound Blaster Live Drive Platinum
KT2 Combo Mother board

ps what linux program is similar to dreamweaver or frontpage
Thank you

turbinater
12-23-2003, 06:36 PM
ps what linux program is similar to dreamweaver or frontpage
You should be able to get away with using kwrite, or kate; both have excelant highlighting for just about any scripting language, or programing language around.

turbinater
12-23-2003, 06:46 PM
how many files and in what order do I need to install them to make ALSA work.
Did you not use the 'knoppix alsa' cheatcode when you booted the cd?
I'm not going to go into detail about how to do this. Go to http://www.google.com/linux and search it out.

kscott9
12-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Another newbie, both to linux and knoppix. Have tried RH9, had a lot of problems with rpms. Tried to install Gentoo, too difficult.
Knoppix(3.2) installs ok(on hard drive), xine even works :P (most of the time).
Can't get my memory stick to work tho, it partly worked in RH9 but knoppix doesn't see it at all. My fstab entry is
/dev/sda1 /mnt/thumb msdos user,noauto 0 0

#dmesg
plug in memstick
#dmesg again to see where it sees it. If it says "device not claimed(or something similar) then make sure you have usb-storage module loaded (use # lsmod for this)
if not loaded then load using # insmod usb-storage
then dmesg command should show which device stick actually is (might be /dev/sda, sda1, sdb, sdb1 etc.) . Then use that in th emount conmmmand.

arkaine23
12-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Try searching for dreamweaver at sourceforge.net. You should find the linux equivalent to it that way.