PDA

View Full Version : How do I "see" Win2K files from knoppix ?

massai
12-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Hello,

(This is my first time into Linux).

I have installed Knoppix on a spare HD using ext3 partitions
I have a primary hard drive with a Windows2000 installation (my main system at this time)

Problem:
How can I make knoppix "see" the Win2K files ?

For example: I am saving the Mozilla bookmarks (html file) from Win2K into a floppy, then I boot to knoppix and I try to read the file from the floppy but it is *not* there. Similarly, when I save an html from knoppix into a floppy then win2k will not "see" it.

What is up? How should I be doing this ?

tearinghairout
12-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Without a bit more information about how you are trying to do these things, it is a bit hard to try and guess why it is not working.
However, there are quite a few ways of doing what it seems you want to do.

Firstly, with regard to floppies, to be read using normal knoppix/UNIX commands, they have to be mounted, just like a hard disk partition. However, Knoppix should have created an icon on your desktop which will do this for you. Just click on this icon and it will automount and let you browse in Konqueror.

There is also a command called mcopy, specifically written to read and write DOS floppy disks without mounting them. Type "man mtools" for more info.

Alternatively, it should be possible to directly read from your NTFS partition in Knoppix without needing to use a floppy.
It is possible to mount an NTFS filesystem the same way that you mount an ext3 filesystem. Once again, Knoppix should have created an icon on your desktop to do this, although by default it will mounted read only.

Hope this helps

massai
12-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Thank you for offering some help on this.

Being so knew to Linux, I have no idea of the nomenclature. I didn't know what "mounting a partition" (or a drive) means, or what is the significance of these things.

What I did was, deleted the floppy icon and then recreated by right-clicking on the desktop and set the floppy icon from scratch.

It seems to work now and I can finaly read the html file that I had saved to the floppy from Win2k.

P.S. The floppy is all I needed. Being so new to Linux (and knowing nothing about security and firewalls etc), I am not even thinking of linking into the win2k drive from knoppix at this time. (and as a matter of fact that drive is deliberately, physically unplugged)