PDA

View Full Version : WinModem LT V.90 Data+Fax Modem V5.34 HELP! (solved)

Cuddles
12-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Ok, it is a WinModem.

The subject line is what is returned when I do an AT3 - So, it is a LT WinModem.

I have tried looking for drivers for it, on the LinModem site, problem is that - sorry - I am an extreme noob when it comes to manual detection, I am way to babyed by the PnP functions within Windows98. I can't figure out if 1) it is supported in Linux, and 2) what drivers are needed.

Knoppix 3.2 Release 2003-05-16-Beta reports that it detects the modem, but refuses to talk to it. Drivers, right? When I try and use the modem in Knoppix, during the tests, it simply says its BUSY.

I am using Windows ONLY for email and access to the Internet, and here. I would love to just STAY in Knoppix, but this WinModem is the only issue still holding me back in Windows. So, the problem is until I get the modem in Knoppix working, I have to drop Knoppix, come into Windows, and do research for this. Anything I download will need to be placed on a Fat32 drive, and then after Knoppix is booted, pull it into Knoppix.

Having a persistant Knoppix Home, and Knoppix Configs, plus Swap File, native on the Fat32, I hope that anything I can get Knoppix to run with the modem will "stick", or I think I will have to keep installing each reboot. If I can get the modem working in Knoppix, I have a HD already prepared for doing the HD Install, and can then KEEP everything running, if I can get this D*mn modem working.

The WinModem is internal, and on the motherboard. Since Christmas Gifts took more money than expected, my new system with a "standard" modem on it, is getting farther and farther from being received, and I am getting ansy with the old system to get it running permanently.

I don't like to ask this, because I think I should be able to do this on my own, but, can someone walk me through the location, download, and install of what I need to get my old system running Knoppix AND with my WinModem? Also, if this WinModem is not supported within the Linux OS, please tell me, I can always just reboot back and forth into Windows and Knoppix - just because of my WinModem. :oops:

I am getting extremely frustrated at having this WinModem, but its all I got until I get my new system, and I want to HD Install Knoppix if I can get the modem working - since that is CURRENTLY the only thing holding me back. :D

How can I learn in Knoppix, if I can't just stay in it, or anything I do, goes away everytime I reboot. [?]

Thanks from a frustrated WinModem owner, and can't locate my own drivers for it, Future Knoppix user...
Cuddles

tearinghairout
12-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Congratulation! It looks like you have a Lucent winmodem, and they are actually supported pretty well.

I am confident you will be able to get it to work if you are prepared to stick at it.

I used to use the Lucent winmodem in my laptop all the time (before I got broadband). It was easy to install and worked great (this was back when I was running SuSE, so YMMV)

There is a pretty good page here http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/index.html
that will get you started in the right direction.

You can tell what version of the kernel you are running by doing a uname -r

Play around with this for a while, and let us know how you get on.

Regards
THO

Cuddles
12-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Arggggggggg,

I rebooted to Knoppix, and did the uname -r -=- it reports back "2.4.20-xfs"

So, I rebooted back into Win98, to get to the internet, and the site you specified, assuming I have Debian/GNU - clicked on the "Canada" link, since I think thats closer to the USA than Germany, taking note of the naming convention used for what driver package I need, and...

Yikes!
the lowest driver package listed is like 6.0.something"c" ????
and the highest is something like 8.x.????

I must be the most clueless noob in the world !

I was under the impression I was looking for a driver named something like "LTModem2.4.20-xfs[and the LT driver rev] ???

Shesh, I was so excited, I thought my next post was going to be from within Knoppix :(

Here's what I have learned so far:
Knoppix 3.2 version 2003-05-16-Beta
Kernel 2.4.20-xfs
LT WinModem
Knoppix Live CD running with Swap File, Home Directory, and Configs, as saved on hdc1

Already did the passwd on both Root and Knoppix - so I can get to a Root/SU protection, if need be.

And, I assume, when I get the LT Drivers, I am going to "shell out" to a Root Command screen, and do the "dpkg -i [filename]" to get the drivers installed.

I also assume, that when I do get the drivers installed, see above, that the drivers will need to be installed each time I boot into Knoppix, UNTIL, I install Debian/Knoppix to my HDD with a "full" install.

Am I right so far? Plz help ! I can't imagine I am having this much trouble, and can't seem to figure out what the h*ck I am doing. I WANT MY KNOPPIX, and to finally kiss this stupid M$ os goodbye :(

Thanx,
Cuddles

tearinghairout
12-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Yikes!
the lowest driver package listed is like 6.0.something"c" ????
and the highest is something like 8.x.????
Look closer at the version numbering.

These are the version numbers of the LT drivers, not the kernel they belong to.

Click on the 8.26a9 and you will see this...

WARNING: These binary packages were provided by volunteers and their contents have not been verified. For information on the contributors please refer to the README file.

Some browser configurations require you to right-click on the file and choose "Save target as" to download the files.

If a file is listed in the README file but does not exist there is a newer version of the file available. Please check the folders for the newer versions.

ltmodem-2.4.18-k7_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.20-1-386_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.20-1-586tsc_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.20-1-686_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.20-1-k6_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.20-1-k7-smp_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.20-1-k7_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.20-speakup_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.20_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.21-5-386_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.21-5-586tsc_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.21-5-686-smp_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.21-5-686_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.21-5-k6_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.21-5-k7-smp_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.21-5-k7_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.21-5_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.22-1-386_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.22-1-586tsc_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.22-1-686-smp_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.22-1-686_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.22-1-k6_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.22-1-k7-smp_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.22-1-k7_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.22-1_8.26a9_i386.deb
ltmodem-2.4.22-speakup_8.26a9_i386.deb

Back to the ltmodem page

Index created: Tue Nov 25 22:30:59 EST 2003

You will probably want one of the ones near the top, depending on your cpu.

Cuddles
12-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Cool !

I'm off to d/l drivers - Hi Ho Hi Ho, I'm off to d/l drivers I go....

Then off to Knoppix to try them out....

Maybe I "CAN" return inside Knoppix and be as happy as I thought [?]

Thanks TearingHairOut - again - your the greatest :D
Cuddles

L2Cache
12-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Here's a good post on getting a lucent winmodem to work with knoppix:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050#9512

Cuddles
12-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Shesh, this much trouble over a stupid WinModem -=- AND STILL it doesn't work...

Here's what happened:

D/l "ltmodem-2.4.20_8.26a9_i386.deb" from the LT site.
Rebooted into Knoppix and located the file on my hdc1 device with Knquerer [sp] - I accidently clicked on it which brought up - I guess - the GUI for Apt-Get ????

Thinking that was cool, I highlighted the LTMODEM driver in the package, and clicked Install

Failed: saying something about Read-Only file system...

Thought for a moment, shelled out and changed to Root, and did the above again - same failed attempt.

Next thought was that this error could have to do with protection on the hard drive? So, set protection to RW and E - third attempt failed with same results.

Almost given up here - then thought, "it might be pist off because I am not installed on a HD" -=- so, I took the plunge, did a knx-hdinstall...

After getting users all setup, passwords, etc... I couldn't get to my Win98 drive that had the driver on it... So, rebooted back into Win98, copied the driver deb file to a floppy, then went back into Knoppix (OFF THE HARD DRIVE - One small step completed!) - tried the click on the deb driver file, selected the driver in the package and clicked install...

It says it ran successfully, and shows up in my INSTALLED packages listing, but I still get the same problem...

Docs say I should either be able to get to my Win/LT/modem through either /dev/modem or /dev/ttys2 or /dev/ttysi4 (i think)

None of them work - /dev/modem states no modem, /dev/ttys2 says the modem is busy - as it did before - and I don't even have a ttysi4 or something.

Someone, stop me before I rip out this WinModem :!:

What did I do wrong? Is it MY fault the dumb machine CAME with a WinModem?

HELP -=- I so wanted to post from Debian (yes! Debian, I'm on my hard drive NOW!!!!!)
Cuddles
[ps] L2Cache, I did look at the post thread, but now that I've added the wrinkle of being on a HD Install and not the Live CD - I haven't a clue how to change whatever is going on, and said in the thread. :?:

tearinghairout
12-24-2003, 02:05 AM
Ok Cuddles, sorry, but it looks like I may have led you a bit astray. But don't give up yet, we are making progress, at least you managed to get knoppix working from HD now.

It seems that despite what everyone says about knoppix on HD is really just debian, it seems that the kernels are not quite the same, so installing the .deb file won't work.

You will have to download the source and build it from scratch.

That link provided by L2cache is going to come in handy. Note however that all that stuff about saving files to floppies is not needed in your case because you are running Knoppix from the hard disk instead of the cd.

The steps I think you need to do are:

Download the source from http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz
and save it somewhere.

cd into the directory where you just saved it

tar xvfz ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz

this will create a new directory called ltmodem-8.26a9

cd into that directory

./build_module

This prompted me with a whole bunch of ugly messages, but I basically just entered through them all.
It will then suggest you run .ltinst2 and ./autoload
I ran these, but I am not sure if they worked or not.

mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0
ln -sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem

insmod -f lt_modem.o
insmod -f lt_serial.o

At this point I usually use minicom just to see if I can talk to the modem directly.
Run minicom in a terminal, press Ctrl-A O to bring up the configuration menu.
select serial port setup, then press A to edit the first entry and change it /dev/modem.
Exit back out to the minicom main screen, and key in ati
You should get a response such as "LT V.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.26a"

If it's working, great, you can start setting up your dial out using kppp or pppconfig or whatever.

If it doesn't work, well, make a note of what you managed to get done, and try to record as many error messages as you can and post a reply.

I am suffering from flu at the moment, so must sleep now, but will check back in the morning (NY time) to see how you got on.

Cuddles
12-24-2003, 05:32 AM
OMG ! ! !

You are a saviour TearingHairOut !!!!!

CUDDLES IS DOING A HAPPY DANCE ALL AROUND THE ROOM :!: :!: :!:

I am NOW online AND using my WinModem within Konqueror on Debian/Knoppix

Thank You from the bottom of my heart TearingHairOut, and thank you also to L2Cache !

You both can have my first born :D
Cuddles

Cuddles
12-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Spoke too soon,

Appears the WinModem only finds web pages - through Konqueror - If I am logged in as Root.

If I am logged in as any of the other two users - Connection can be made, but neither Mozilla or Konqueror can locate web pages - that I know exist. [?]

Also, I think this is a setting within Konqueror - but when I fire off a Reply Post, I don't get the Topic Review window to get filled in - which means you can view what you are replying about.

Oh well, it's almost 1 am here, its been a long day, and at least I can get the modem to connect and get somewhere - even if it is in the Root only - I'm crashin.

Cuddles - till another day we duel. [oops - deal] with this issue.

Cuddles
12-24-2003, 03:07 PM
Aaaaaaa, a new, and fresh, day...

All night I was trying to think what I could have done wrong -=- Why only Root can get to web sites, and not the other users. I already examined the other users Groups within KDE User Manager - and other than Root as a Group, they are basically the same - not sure if I missed something though.

I did note: thinking through my install -=- tar till the force -=- all was done in the Root Home directory, and as Root. Plus, dummy me, I forgot those two things you mentioned TearingHairOut - the .ltinst2 and the ./autoload - Could this be the "source" of my problems?

I hate being on the internet as SU, and would like to be less vulnerable when connected.
(also, I downloaded FireStarter (firewall) as a Tar Ball Source - into a common directory off the main drive, in case the whole build in the Root area thing was a issue with the LTModem, do I just unTar it as in the LTmodem and look at how to install it?

Thanks millions for this group, the assistance, and I hope, I am getting the hang of all of this, so I can do this stuff myself :D

Cuddles

tearinghairout
12-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Cuddles
Yaaaaay
I'm glad you managed to get the modem working.

That's strange about not being to find web pages when logged in as a normal user. The only thing that springs to mind would be proxy server settings in Konqueror and Mozilla.

See what you have under Settings/Configure Konqueror/Proxy in Konqueror for root and the other users, and see if they differ at all.

Failing that you will have to put your network engineer hat on and start trying to diagnose the problem from the bottom up, eg. Can you ping the IP address of the web site, can you resolve the web site name to its IP address, that sort of thing.

Try running the following sequence of commands, first as root, just to familiarise yourself with the process, then as another user, and see what happens differently.
The bits you need to type are in bold. Ctrl-C means press control C.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
knoppix@knoppix:~$ ping 69.56.166.99
PING 69.56.166.99 (69.56.166.99): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=0 ttl=46 time=54.8 ms
64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=55.7 ms
64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=55.3 ms
Ctrl-C
--- 69.56.166.99 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 54.8/55.2/55.7 ms
knoppix@knoppix:~$ dig www.knoppix.net

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> www.knoppix.net
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6032
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.knoppix.net. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.knoppix.net. 2060 IN A 69.56.166.99

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
knoppix.net. 2075 IN NS ns2.ispbox.com.
knoppix.net. 2075 IN NS rimu.eadz.co.nz.
knoppix.net. 2075 IN NS manuka.eadz.co.nz.

;; Query time: 10 msec
;; SERVER: 24.29.99.14#53(24.29.99.14)
;; WHEN: Wed Dec 24 09:57:52 2003
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 127

knoppix@knoppix:~$ ping www.knoppix.net
PING www.knoppix.net (69.56.166.99): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=0 ttl=46 time=51.6 ms
64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=54.2 ms
64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=53.8 ms
Ctrl-C
--- www.knoppix.net ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 51.6/53.2/54.2 ms
knoppix@knoppix:~$ telnet www.knoppix.net 80
Trying 69.56.166.99...
Connected to kowhai.eadz.co.nz.
Escape character is '^]'.
get
<html>
Lots of stuff removed from here.
</body>
</html>Connection closed by foreign host.
knoppix@knoppix:~$
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I see what you mean about not getting the topic review in Konqueror. I have the same problem. I found another topic on this forum where someone else had the problem too.
It is probably just a bug in Konqueror. I always use Mozilla anyway.

Good luck
THO

tearinghairout
12-24-2003, 03:31 PM
Cuddles

Firestarter can be installed from the debian site.

Trying to compile stuff from source should be your last resort.

First, make sure you have a file called /etc/apt/sources.list that contains this line:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

then just type this command as root

apt-get install firestarter

If this works (it did for me) then you can just run firestarter from the command line, or find it in the internet menu, and you're away.

Cuddles
12-24-2003, 04:43 PM
TearingHairOut,

O M G ! ! !

Is this slicker than SLICED BREAD !

1) Checked my Sources.lst - the exact line you stated was not their, so I added it. Went to a Root Konsole Shell - did the apt-get install firestarter - it had W: stuff, which I assume are Warnings, and one E:, which I bet is an Error - the warnings stated something, the Error at the end stated something like Package firestarter not found - last thing it said was: Maybe you should do a "apt-get update"

SCARY PART:
I did the apt-get update - it is still running in the background, DID I DO GOOD HERE ? I knew I needed to do this sometime to get security updates, but YEESH. Did I just FRY, or am I in the process of FRYING, my system here?

When this apt-get update finishes, should I assume I am ok, and should I redo the apt-get install firestarter - or is it really already installed?

2) I copied all the stuff you stated about the Ping testing, and such - Konqueror does NOT have Proxy running. I will check the settings in the other users, after I get #1 above figured out and it finishes. If they don't have Proxy running, I have the network stuff saved to test with.

I really appreciate all the help Tearing, and also to L2Cache, this has been an immersion into Linux of an experiance, but, I'm learning :) Thanks :D

??? How do I add stuff into my auto-start ????
I like to have the "speaker" from KMix in the tray next to the clock. In Win you just pup junk in your startup folder. What is the equivalent here in the Linux World???

Thanks, I guess I need to start posting in the HD Install Forum now? YES! (I've been promoted! [giggle]
Cuddles

tearinghairout
12-24-2003, 05:46 PM
I think apt-get update was the right thing to do.

Essentially, now that you have pointed apt at a new place to get packages from, it needs to go and read the index of all the packages that are available there.

Once it has finished, try the apt-get install firestarter again.

If the worst comes to the worst and you do fry your system, well, now that you are a master of Knoppix HD installs, it should be trivial for you to just reinstall again. :D

As for the auto-start of Kmix, I am not really sure, but if you run kmix manually and then configure it so the first two options (Dock into Panel & Enable system tray volume control), it might always start for you.
This seems to be the case for me, anyway.

Cuddles
12-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Thanks Millions TearingHairOut,

You have been wonderful through all of this, and extremely patient with this noob. (even to the point of hand-holding me through some of the rough parts)

If anything, I think this thread can be closed, considering I "DO" have the LTWinModem working now :D

I will work on the network "hat" part, and should resolve w/o issues.
And - again - thanks to everyone - Happy Hollidays - Happy New Year - and may all your systems, never crash 8)
Cuddles

jeramy
12-24-2003, 06:19 PM
Yes, it's ok to have apt-get update run in the background while you're doing other stuff. Linux is multi-user and multi-tasking, so you theoretically could have 10 people logged in while you're running that. This assumes you have 10 other accounts created (or less... you can log in to a machine several times as yourself) and that you've started up the correct services, of course.
;)

As for auto-start, if you leave, say, XMMS open when you log out, it will start up when you log back in again.

When I was running Mandrake, and I logged off while streaming music, and then logged back in again, it would resume streaming.
In Knoppix/Debian, when I log back in after streaming music, XMMS starts with a dialog box that says "Please select file." Crappy, but not as bad as Windows where it wouldn't start at all.