PDA

View Full Version : Apt-get errors?

massai
12-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Hello,

After trying "apt-get update", the whole update process completes fine up to 94% and then it gives some errors (W) about not being able to connect for some files.

Then... when I do (say) "apt-get install firestarter" it completes but there are some errors at the end saying that I should run "apt-get update".
....but...but... I just did !?

Should I be worried about that?

Thanks

jeramy
12-24-2003, 05:56 PM
No, don't worry about it.

About a month ago, the Debian servers were compromised, so the maintainers took the servers off-line until they can verify that no backdoors have been inserted into any packages.

No, nobody has any idea when they'll be up again.
savannah.gnu.org just came back up today, and it was compromised a couple of weeks before the Debian servers were, IIRC.

massai
12-24-2003, 06:05 PM
No, don't worry about it.

About a month ago, the Debian servers were compromised, so the maintainers took the servers off-line until they can verify that no backdoors have been inserted into any packages.

No, nobody has any idea when they'll be up again.
savannah.gnu.org just came back up today, and it was compromised a couple of weeks before the Debian servers were, IIRC.

aah.. that is a relief (knowing that it is not something on my end). Thanks !

I did come accross a webpage saying that the apt-get (debian)) servers were on maintenance, but the date on that page was Nov/10 so I dismissed it.

When you say "No, don't worry about it" do you mean that the package will work just fine even with the reported errors ?

Thanks

Edit: The html tags on this site do *not* like me. I have html enabled but it doesn't kick in.

tearinghairout
12-24-2003, 06:09 PM
The square brackety things are not HTML, they are BBcode.
Do you have BBcode enabled?

jeramy
12-24-2003, 06:24 PM
I have BBCode enabled and I still see the ['quote="jeramy"'] stuff.

Yes, it probably was November 10th. But considering that the "stable" release of Debian still uses the 2.2 kernel, I wasn't expecting the servers to come up any time soon. :(

There's 11000+ packages to comb through, btw. ;)

massai
12-24-2003, 06:50 PM
The square brackety things are not HTML, they are BBcode.
Do you have BBcode enabled?

Test... 1..2..test...

Hmm still no-go after unchecking the "disabe BBcode".

..ooh wait a sec it works if I set it through the user profile.

Darn... I call it "beginner's jinx"; nothing I try works at first.

--

turbinater
12-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Hello,

After trying "apt-get update", the whole update process completes fine up to 94% and then it gives some errors (W) about not being able to connect for some files.

Then... when I do (say) "apt-get install firestarter" it completes but there are some errors at the end saying that I should run "apt-get update".
....but...but... I just did !?

Should I be worried about that?

Thanks
You can fetch packages from ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/