PDA

View Full Version : Using Knoppix with work saved to hard drive...

howagood
02-07-2003, 02:17 PM
I would like to set up Knoppix on a standalone computer so that Linux and all of the Knoppix applications run from the CR-ROM, but any files I create can be stored to the hard drive. At this point I am not concerned with operating speed.

I imagine the above configuration would first require the creation of a Linux partition on the hard drive which Knoppix would recognize. However, how does one get Knoppix/Linux to recognize the hard drive as a place to save files? I am new to Knoppix and Linux in general, so I'll need all the help I can get, right down to the commands.

Thanks.

Knoppix Knewbie

eadz
02-07-2003, 02:22 PM
check out knoppix persistant home ( have a look in the news section for the thread )

howagood
02-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Sorry, Eadz. I don't know what 'Knoppix Persistant Home' is, nor have I been able to find it on the web. Remember, I am a Linux Newbie.

eadz
02-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Sorry, Eadz. I don't know what 'Knoppix Persistant Home' is, nor have I been able to find it on the web. Remember, I am a Linux Newbie.

sorry.
see here
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155

basically, you'll need to download the file and read the readme in it.

howagood
02-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Okay, Eadz, I'm finally caught up on what you had asked me to do. I located Knoppix Persistent Home, downloaded a copy, and read the readme.

The Hint says if Persistent Home is used regularly, one should "put the files knx_persistent_home.pl and knoppix.sh on the Knoppix CD into the KNOPPIX directory."

My question: If the Knoppix download is an iso and the CD is already burned, how does one copy those two files?

Thanks again.
Howard, the Knoppix Knewbie

oscar
02-14-2003, 07:29 AM
The Hint says if Persistent Home is used regularly, one should "put the files knx_persistent_home.pl and knoppix.sh on the Knoppix CD into the KNOPPIX directory."

My question: If the Knoppix download is an iso and the CD is already burned, how does one copy those two files?

Thanks again.
Howard, the Knoppix Knewbie

Get winiso (or isobuster) for windows.
Winiso opens iso images as they were simple folders. Then you may copy files (view, delete etc)
Then re-save iso and burn. It is easy
Winiso make images from the CD if you have only the CD.

howagood
02-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks, Eadz! I've give WinISO or ISObuster a try.

Regards,
Howard, the experienced Knewbie