PDA

View Full Version : That geeky startup sound...?

Ander
12-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Don't get the wrong idea---I love Knoppix.

However, I always cringe when I demonstrate it on my portable ---or boot it in an office, or anywhere where people are nearby---and that corny, reverb-heavy woman's voice booms out,"Startup sequence initiated!", like some kind of Star Trek thing.

I can't turn down the volume, because my volume controls don't work until you load an OS. This is probably true with most portables.

One of the most important things about Knoppix is the way it shows people---i.e., Windows-users---how you do NOT have to be a computer geek to use Linux. When you're trying to do this, frankly, the startup sound is embarrassing.

(Maybe there could be two Knoppix versions---"Geeky" and "Non-Geeky"?)

Stephen
12-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Don't get the wrong idea---I love Knoppix.

However, I always cringe when I demonstrate it on my portable ---or boot it in an office, or anywhere where people are nearby---and that corny, reverb-heavy woman's voice booms out,"Startup sequence initiated!", like some kind of Star Trek thing.

I can't turn down the volume, because my volume controls don't work until you load an OS. This is probably true with most portables.

One of the most important things about Knoppix is the way it shows people---i.e., Windows-users---how you do NOT have to be a computer geek to use Linux. When you're trying to do this, frankly, the startup sound is embarrassing.

(Maybe there could be two Knoppix versions---"Geeky" and "Non-Geeky"?)

noaudio cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes)??

Ander
12-27-2003, 12:07 AM
> noaudio cheat code?

That would work, but I don't think it would be worth losing all audio. Thanks for the idea, though.