alex+
12-27-2003, 08:01 PM
This is related to a posting in Hdd Install "3.3 boot stops and locks"

I can't get a clean boot using KNOPPIX's LILO. Sometimes the bootup
stops and locks as described above and sometimes it requires me to type in:

# mount -n -o remount,rw /

then follow up with

# startx

the login appears and KNOPPIX works. One thing I see that doesn't seem to be right is the text prompt is not what I chose during installation.
The prompt is sh-2.05b # instead of the knoppix # that I chose.
Additionally, the prompt doesn't 'grow' when I do cd commands.

The LILO boot floppy that was made during KNOPPIX installation consistently locks up boot. The same is true with a boot floppy that I made with # mkboot vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs

I also have a GRUB floppy configured for KNOPPIX 3.3 in the same
way as KNOPPIX 3.2 . KNOPPX 3.2 boots up cleanly but 3.3 doesn't

However, when I use a Progeny Debian Installation disk as a booter and use the 'boot option with the command "linux noinitrd root=/dev/hda8, KNOPPIX boots up consistently and the boot prompt is the one I set during installation and it does 'grow' when the cd command is used.. The bootup is smooth and I don't have to make any entries. KNOPPIX appears to work the way I think it should except there seems to be a need to do some kernel work, for example, the file system vfat isn't recognized.

KNOPPIX 3.3-2003-11-19 has been a trying experience. I am by no means a Linux expert but I've never had a problem with any of the five
other Linux systems currently on my HD. Very aggravating!

In summary, it seems that the problems I've been having with 3.3 are somehow related to the method of booting. 3.3 is the only system that uses LILO---the others run off GRUB.

Comments, suggestions, anyone ???

alex+
12-28-2003, 04:00 AM
The problem was solved by rickenbacherus in the HDD install section. He suggested editing the DMA in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh. I commented out the two commands under #enable DMA
and now KNOPPIX 3.3 boots properly.

Nice work rickenbacherus---thank you.