PDA

View Full Version : Help my screen is black

mperry2014
12-28-2003, 06:13 AM
hello i need some help i am a newbie at linux and whenever i try to boot up from my knoppix cd it runs fine till the loading is finished, and then it goes black and wont show me anything. Then when I turn my comp off i get a glimce of the desktop and my comp goes off.

I have a 2.4 gighrtz, 120 gig HD, savage S3 32mg Video Card, 256mg Ram. Plz tell me how to fix this problem im guessing that it is the grafix but i dont know how to fix it plz help.

Stephen
12-28-2003, 06:49 AM
hello i need some help i am a newbie at linux and whenever i try to boot up from my knoppix cd it runs fine till the loading is finished, and then it goes black and wont show me anything. Then when I turn my comp off i get a glimce of the desktop and my comp goes off.

I have a 2.4 gighrtz, 120 gig HD, savage S3 32mg Video Card, 256mg Ram. Plz tell me how to fix this problem im guessing that it is the grafix but i dont know how to fix it plz help.

Try at the boot: prompt the line knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA xmodule=savage a page (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) of other cheat codes you may want to try.

mperry2014
12-29-2003, 05:23 AM
that didnt help but i fiddled with it for about 2 hours and got it too work by using this command at the boot promt. "failsafe knoppix lang=us knoppix wheelmouse" thx to those who tried to help though i just thought id add how i fixed it so that anyone with a similar problem can maybe fix it.

Stephen
12-29-2003, 05:58 AM
that didnt help but i fiddled with it for about 2 hours and got it too work by using this command at the boot promt. "failsafe knoppix lang=us knoppix wheelmouse" thx to those who tried to help though i just thought id add how i fixed it so that anyone with a similar problem can maybe fix it.

Good to hear you got it going but you do not need the knoppix in the line when using failsafe you could boot with for your example failsafe lang=us wheelmouse.