PDA

View Full Version : mouse not responding

hernan
12-28-2003, 06:51 AM
Hi, i have a really simple question, but I need an answer ASAP

When I installed Knoppix/Debian to my hdd, i didn't have my mouse installed, and now, it doesn't work in X.

I tried going into KXConfig and setting it up, and it saves the settings and I restart X by pressing CTRL+ALT+BS, but it still doesn't detect it.

How can I set it up?

Thanks

Hernan

Stephen
12-28-2003, 07:44 AM
Hi, i have a really simple question, but I need an answer ASAP

When I installed Knoppix/Debian to my hdd, i didn't have my mouse installed, and now, it doesn't work in X.

I tried going into KXConfig and setting it up, and it saves the settings and I restart X by pressing CTRL+ALT+BS, but it still doesn't detect it.

How can I set it up?

Thanks

Hernan
Here's (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6600) something you can try if the next part fails. Boot with the knoppix cd with the mouse attached and once in KDE open a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) then use the commands in the window.

sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
sudo cp /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.original
sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
answer yes to the overwrite

Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the hd installed knoppix / (root) partition. Reboot the computer and boot to the knoppix install and the mouse should work that's if it did while knoppix was running from the cd. If it does not work then post the type of mouse and the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file that is being used. note: you should use the same cheat codes (if any) that were used when you first installed when doing this.

hernan
12-28-2003, 08:02 AM
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for replying to my question, but I got the problem fixed a while ago.
What you tell me to do is close to what I did.
I opened my XF86Config-4 file with VI, and edited one of the lines in the first section that read as "Serial Mouse" to "PS/2 Mouse", and just in case, below, in the input "Serial Mouse" section, i changed my device to /dev/psaux
Thanks anyway,

Hernan