PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix-Fonts Question.

rvijay
12-28-2003, 02:35 PM
When I load Knoppix fonts are very, very poor for ONLY the following programs:
1. Newsreader
2. X-Chat
3. Mozilla Browser (Konqueror is OK)

I can't even read anything to change them. Also trid Ctrl Alt + to change to different resolutions, this didn't help either.

I also use Vector Linux, the X-Chat is perfect in that.

Please Assist.

Thanks.

Vijay

Stephen
12-28-2003, 08:57 PM
When I load Knoppix fonts are very, very poor for ONLY the following programs:
1. Newsreader
2. X-Chat
3. Mozilla Browser (Konqueror is OK)

I can't even read anything to change them. Also trid Ctrl Alt + to change to different resolutions, this didn't help either.

I also use Vector Linux, the X-Chat is perfect in that.

Please Assist.

Thanks.

Vijay

There are a few things that you can check look in the file /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers and see if it is set for -dpi 75 if it is then change it to -dpi 100 you then have to restart kdm with /etc/init.d/kdm restart this best done from the console. You can also check in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and make sure that the type1 FontPath is at the bottom of the list and that the 100 and 75 lines have the :unscaled on the end of the line:

FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"

If the fonts are too small more the 100dpi above the 75dpi line you have to restart the xserver for this to take effect. And make sure that the font paths that are in the XF86Config-4 are also in the file /etc/X11/XftConfig before restarting the xserver in the dir lines:

dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera"
dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives"
dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western"
dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/xfree86-nonfree"
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"

rvijay
12-28-2003, 09:01 PM
If the fonts are too small more the 100dpi above the 75dpi line you have to restart the xserver for this to take effect.

How can I go back to the command prompt and then restart the X-Server ? Please assist. Thanks.

Vijay

Stephen
12-28-2003, 09:31 PM
If the fonts are too small more the 100dpi above the 75dpi line you have to restart the xserver for this to take effect.

How can I go back to the command prompt and then restart the X-Server ? Please assist. Thanks.

Vijay

When you restart kdm from the command line it will restart the xserver as part of it's restart. Or you can choose from the KDE login screen from the menu option Restart xserver and there is another option in the same menu to go to a console login that is what you want to go to the "command prompt".

XPediTioN
01-10-2004, 12:49 AM
I want to know if I can write on the knoppix cd, by this I mean setup TTF fonts and also other stuff. Can I also write my other partitions?

XPediTioN

c123
07-10-2004, 03:02 PM
came across this post when searching how to restart the xserver from the command line - I'm rarely at my knoppix machine and do most things from my win laptop via SSH. When I ocasionally need a GUI, I use VNC4. This works fine, except from time to time (I leave the knoppix box on all the time) the xserver is unresponsive :(

so this is the command I found that does the job for me - it restarts KDM (which by Knoppix default we're using in preference to XDM) which restarts the xserver
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
this may not be the most elegant/correct way but it works(tm) and I thought it might be useful for others...

rvijay
07-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Knoppix worked for me finally with the following command at boot:
knoppix 2 vga=normal lang=us

Someone suggested this several months ago. I am just sharing this here now.
Hope this helps someone.

Vijay