PDA

View Full Version : Gnoppix question (Hope someone can help)

ido50
12-28-2003, 04:40 PM
I know it's a Knoppix forum, but maybe someone here can help.
The Wiki over here states that one can create a boot floppy for Gnoppix using rawrite on the boot.img file on the credativ folder on the Gnoppix CD. I've downloaded the latest Gnoppix version but there isn't any boot.img file on the CD. The rawrite program exists but there's nothing to use it on. Anyone knows which file should I look for?
Anyway, the only reason I need a booy floppy is that I have another problem: My computer holds a CD-ROM and a CD-RW, and it tries to boot from the CD-RW instead of the CD-ROM. Problem is that the CD-RW is not IDE so Gnoppix (And Knoppix, which I've tried previously) can't compress the filesystem (Or something). If anyone knows how I can set my computer to boot from the CD-ROM, it will save me the boot floppy problem.

Thanks,
Ido.

baldyeti
12-28-2003, 10:30 PM
You said your cd-rw is not IDE, so is it SCSI, then? Maybe your BIOS is set to boot from SCSI before CDROM? That's all I can suggest: review carefully the boot device sequence in your BIOS. You know how to enter your BIOS setup, don't you?

ido50
12-29-2003, 01:09 PM
You said your cd-rw is not IDE, so is it SCSI, then? Maybe your BIOS is set to boot from SCSI before CDROM? That's all I can suggest: review carefully the boot device sequence in your BIOS. You know how to enter your BIOS setup, don't you?

my boot sequence is A, CDROM, C.
It doesn't have any SCSI item and I guess it interprets the CD-RW as the CDROM.

baldyeti
12-30-2003, 07:48 AM
So what happens if you stick your cdrom in the cd-rw drive? Does it boot then? To make sure your CD burned OK - and is bootable - you might try it on some other system.

ido50
12-31-2003, 03:19 PM
So what happens if you stick your cdrom in the cd-rw drive? Does it boot then? To make sure your CD burned OK - and is bootable - you might try it on some other system.

It boots but the proccess fails giving the message that the compressed filesystem cannot be found.
Anyway I've created a boot floppy for Knoppix and it works good so let's drop that, though I still can't create one for Gnoppix.

baldyeti
12-31-2003, 04:41 PM
If you wanted to see Gnome 2.4, morphix (www.morphix.org) "HeavyGUI" uses just that.